Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 05 Apr 16 at 21:30 PM

Boreham Wood: Report

FC Halifax Town got a crucial victory in the Vanarama National League, as they scored a last minute winner to seal the points against Boreham Wood.


At half time the Shaymen looked to be in a comfortable position, leading 2-0. First half goals from Jordan Burrow and James Bolton put them in a commanding position.


However, the visitors responded with goals from Harry White and Jamie Lucas, to bring the game level.


The game looked to be heading for a draw but Connor Hughes picked up the ball in the box and smashed home to give the Shaymen a huge three points.


The games start fairly evenly as both sides had crosses in to the box cleared. Josh MacDonald was the main threat early on, as he put a great cross in to the box for Burrow that was well cleared.


Macdonald was again involved for the Shaymen, as he saw his cross-spilled by Wood keeper James Russell, but the ball was cleared before Burrow could tap in.


Halifax continued to build the pressure and got their reward on the 20 minute mark. Richard Peniket brought down a ball in the box, and twisting past his man, he dinked a great ball to the back post for Burrow to tap in.


The Shaymen were dominating their visitors and made it two nil just four minutes after the first goal. Peniket was again involved as he won a corner for Halifax. MacDonald floated a ball in and when keeper Russell missed the ball, Bolton had the easiest of headers.


Kevin Roberts almost made it three for Halifax with a fine solo effort. Picking the ball up on the right, the full back cut past two and hit a great left foot strike that was deflected wide.


Bolton nearly had his second of the game on 37 minutes. The Boreham Wood defence did not deal with a corner from Scott McManus and Bolton hit a good strike straight at the keeper.


Town started the second half how they finished the first as Jake Hibbs almost made it three. Breaking from midfield he jinked past his man and fired a shot that was well saved by Russell.


The visitors got back in to the game when White put the ball in Sam Johnson’s goal. Daniel Woodward did well on the left hand side and put a great ball in for White, who couldn’t miss at the back post.


Burrow then went close on two occasions to get Halifax the two goal cushion back. His first effort was great solo run on the left, before he opened his body and tried to curl one in the top right corner, but his effort went just wide. His second saw a great bit of play by substitute Connor Hughes, who skipped past two and played in the striker. Burrow took the ball but was off balance and couldn’t direct his shot on target.


Boreham Wood came close to bringing the scores level when Delano Sam-Yorke’s strike was well saved by Johnson. On the follow Bolton made a goal line clearance to keep the Shaymen in the lead.


The visitors did bring the game level five minutes before the end. Lucas got the ball on the right, cutting inside he hit a shot with his right boot that curled past Johnson.


With the game looking over, Hughes picked the ball up in the box and smashed home, to give Halifax a crucial win.


    Latest Match Reports