Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Feb 16 at 16:45 PM

Gateshead: Report

FC Halifax Town played out a goalless draw against Neil Aspin’s Gateshead side in the FA Trophy quarter final.


It was Aspin’s first game returning to the Shay after been sacked back in September.


It was a game that lacked any real chances and both sides struggled to get on top. Gateshead’s Matthew Pattison had the best chance of the first half as he struck just wide from a strike inside the box.


In the second half Halifax had more chances on goal than their opponents but again it was the visitors who had the best chance of the half. Danny Johnson had a fine solo run before he had a curling strike that went just wide of the post.


The first chance of the game fell for Gateshead. Former Shaymen CJ Hamilton cut in well from the left hand side, but he dragged his right-footed shot wide.


The Shaymen’s first chance came from a free kick. Josh MacDonald made a great run down the right and was taken down by Ben Clarke. Scott McManus took a great set piece, which Richard Peniket headed straight at the keeper.


On the 35 minute mark Pattison brought the ball down very well in the box, slipped past his man and hit a left foot strike just wide.


The visitors continued to apply the pressure towards the second half as Gus Mafuta went close. The midfielder danced past two players and hit his strike in to the side netting.


The final chance of the half again fell to Aspin’s men. Paddy McLaughlin gained a yard of space 25 yards out and struck a fierce shot, that Sam Johnson did well to save.


The second half continued in the same vain as the first half, with both teams struggling to get on top. The first chance of the half fell to the Shaymen. A long throw in from the left, was flicked towards goal by Hamza Bencherif but it went tamely through to the keeper.


The Shaymen gradually started to have the better of the chances and another one came from a long range Nicky Wroe effort. After Jake Hibbs did very well skipping past two, he played a ball to Wroe, who struck well but just over the bar.


Connor Hughes was next to go close for Halifax as he blazed over from inside the box. Moments later Shaquille McDonald followed suit and hit over from outside the box.


Gateshead had their best chance of the half on the 80 minute marker. Sub Danny Johnson broke from inside his own half, running at James Bolton he shifted the ball on to his right foot and curled an effort just wide.


Johnson had another chance for the Heed with two minutes remaining. He picked the ball up 30 yards out and struck a left footed shot just wide of Sam Johnson’s right hand post.


The Shaymen pushed for a winner in the dying moments but were unable to create any real opportunities. Both sides will again meet in a replay on Wednesday night for a place in the semi final. 

    Latest Match Reports