Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Apr 16 at 16:45 PM

Cheltenham Town: Report

FC Halifax Town were consigned to their third consecutive defeat as Cheltenham Town secured the Vanarama National League title. Two first half goals from Dan Holman, first curling one from distance and then from the penalty spot secured those vital three points to seal it for The Robins but it puts Jim Harvey’s in trouble near the foot of the table.

It was The Shaymen who had the first real effort at goal when Jordan Burrow found a bit of space but dragged his effort wide of Jon Flatt’s goal inside the first five minutes.

Just a couple of minutes later and James Dayton saw his free-kick flash across the face of Sam Johnson’s goal but it was deflected behind.

There was a hearts in mouths moment for the home fans as Flatt’s kick wa charged down by Burrow but luckily for The Robins it went only for a throw.

Halifax knocked on the door again just a minute later as Kingsley James won the ball in midfield, played it down the line to Josh MacDonald who picked out Burrow. His effort was deflected off Cameron Burgess and James smashed the rebound wide.

Cheltenham could have gone ahead in the 20th minute as Holman raced through on goal but Johnson tipped it wide.

But just three minutes later it was 1-0 to the home side. A through ball by Dayton found Holman on the edge of the area who curled a beautiful effort past Johnson into the bottom corner to scenes of elation from the home crowd.

Town responded as James saw his volley from a corner go just narrowly wide before Asa Hall went up the other end and smashed a 25 yard effort inches wide.

Just after the half hour mark it was 2-0. Kyle Storer’s floated free-kick was handled in the area by Hamza Bencherif. Referee John Busby showed absolutely no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Holman stepped up to bag his second of the afternoon.

Nicky Wroe tried to pull a response out of his team with a bouncing effort that was dealt with by Flatt before substitute Connor Hughes’ turn and shot from the edge of the area was easily saved by the Cheltenham ‘keeper.

In the second half Town came out the traps and James saw his half-volley just go narrowly wide of Flatt’s far post.

At the other end Jake Hibbs was forced to head Dayton’s free-kick over his own bar before Johnson was called into action once again, pulling off a tremendous save from Amari Morgan-Smith.

Hibbs then saw a free-kick of his own narrowly over the bar before Kevin Roberts was called into an unbelievable challenge on Holman after he was put through by Dayton.

MacDonald fired just over after beating two men in the 69th minute but it was very much a case of Cheltenham seeing the game out as Halifax barely threatened and the Cheltenham fans burst into party atmosphere as news came through of Forest Green Rovers being held by Woking.

Roberts’ free header at the back post in the 82nd minute somehow only found the side netting and up the other end, efforts from Asa Hall and Holman called Johnson into action but that was that.

The 2-0 win and Forest Green’s loss to Woking confirmed Cheltenham were indeed Vanarama National League Champions whilst The Shaymen slip into the relegation zone. 

    Latest Match Reports