Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 at 16:45 PM

Guiseley: Report

FC Halifax Town scored late to earn a one all draw against local rivals Guiseley and make it three games unbeaten.


In what was a quiet first half, the second was anything but as both sides had plenty of chances. It took only three minutes in to the second half for the Lions to break the deadlock, as Anthony Dudley calmly finished past Sam Johnson.


The Shaymen took until six minutes before the end to pull the game level. Sam Walker hit a free kick from 20 yards out that flew off the bar and in to the net.  


In a first half that saw very few chances, the best chance fell to the visitors. Dudley was left through on goal after James Bolton played him on side and he did well until the finish, which he pulled wide.


Halifax did go close from a Kieran Sadlier effort. After a cross in to the box by MacDonald was cleared to the edge, Sadlier jinked past one and shot but his effort rebounded off the post.


The visitors started the second half brightly and it took just three minutes in to it for them to take the lead. Scott McManus slipped when trying to clear and Dudley made up for his earlier missed effort, with a cool finish past Johnson.


The Lion almost made it two soon after. Boyes was played in behind the Halifax defence and from 20 yards out, his strike came back off the bar and out to safety.


On the hour mark Tuton nearly brought the game level. The in form striker did well to hold off Lockwood, before seeing his strike go agonizingly in to the side netting.


Dudley was again a threat for the visitors and he felt aggrieved not to have a penalty. Flicking the ball past Bolton he went down under a challenge but the referee waved away his appeal.


The Shaymen then hit the woodwork twice in a matter of seconds. A ball in to the box landed to the feet of Burrow and his effort cannoned back off the bar. On the follow up McManus picked it up on the edge of the box and this time his shot came hit against the post.


Town looked destined for defeat, until they were awarded a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box. Substitute Walker stepped up from 20 yards and he hit a stunning free kick, that went in off the cross bar.  


Halifax went close to taking the lead soon after from an unlikely source. Guiseley cleared the ball to the edge of the box and running on to it was Bolton, but he was unable to keep his strike down.


The Shaymen pushed for a winner in the final minutes but were unable to make it three wins on the bounce. Sadlier put a great cross in to the box but there was just too much on for Burrow, who was arriving at the back post.

That draw means the Shaymen have closed the gap on Boreham Wood and are now just five points from moving out of the relegation zone.


Man of the Match- Hamza Bencherif




    Latest Match Reports