Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 at 16:45 PM

Dover Athletic: Report

FC Halifax Town recorded only their second home win of the season with a well deserved 4-2 victory against Dover.


In an action packed first half that saw four goals, it was the Shaymen that made a great start to the game. Just eight minute in Shaun Tuton finished after good work by Scott McManus. The good start got even better when they made it two after 14 minutes. Jordan Burrow did well to hold off his man on half way before playing in Nicky Wroe who comfortably finished.


Dover got themselves back in to the game just five minutes later. Ricky Miller finished well after his first strike was saved by debutant Sam Johnson. The visitors pushed for an equaliser in the first half but it was Halifax who extended their lead. Tuton took advantage of a mistake in the defence before playing in Burrow who tapped in.


The second half was as fast paced as the first, with both teams having early chances. It was Dover who got themselves back in to the game with a free kick by Stefan Payne. It could have been a nervous end to the game for the Shaymen but Tuton got himself another with 75 minutes played. 


It was the home side who made the better start and it didn’t take long for it to pay off when Tuton smashed home after eight minutes. It was a great Scott McManus run that turned defence in to attack before playing a smart pass to Roberts on the Right. The Dover defence did not deal with his cross and the ball landed to Tuton who powered home.   


Just six minutes later the Shaymen doubled their lead. Burrow held up the ball well before playing Wroe through on goal. His first effort was well saved but on the follow up he comfortably slotted home.


The visitors got themselves back in to the game five minutes later. Miller got in behind the Halifax defence and his strike was parried by Sam Johnson, but Miller picked up the rebound and passed in to an empty net.


Tuton was a constant threat through the first half and he made Andy Rafferty produce a great save in the Dover goal. Josh MacDonald played a nice low cross which Tuton struck well but the Dover stopper tipped it on to the bar.


As the half went on the visitors grew in to the game and could of got back on level terms. After a quick break Miller broke inside but his strike was pulled wide of the left hand post.


Just before half time the Shaymen regained their two-goal advantage with Tuton and Burrow combining again. Tuton took advantage of a mistake by the Dover defence before playing it across to Burrow, who had the simplest of tap ins. 


Dover made a good start to the second half and created the better chances. Payne went close from a cross from the right but he couldn’t keep his strike down. He did get his name on the score sheet soon after from a free kick. Burrow was penalised for a push 20 yards out and Payne stepped up to smash home.


Halifax nearly responded straight from the kick off. Tuton got in behind the Dover defence but just before he unleashed a strike the defender got back to block the shot. 


With Dover looking for the equaliser Halifax were dangerous on the break and they made their opponents pay with a quick break on the 75 minute mark. A clearance found its way to Tuton who jinked past his man and smashed home with his left foot.


Dover pushed to get back in the game but it was again Halifax who had the better chances, with Burrow going close after good play by Sadlier. This result means its back-to-back wins for the Shaymen, who climb one spot to 23rd.


Man of the match: Shaun Tuton.

    Latest Match Reports