Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 at 16:45 PM

Chester: Report

FC Halifax Town slumped to their second defeat in a week as they fell to a 2-1 loss away at Chester. James Roberts opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time in his first game back since the tragic death of his brother before Johnny Hunt doubled The Cestrians lead ten minutes into the second half. Jordan Burrow did pull one back for The Shaymen but it proved to be a consolation.

It was The Shaymen who had the first effort of the game after just two minutes with Kieran Sadlier firing an effort from range but it was well held by Jon Worsnop in the Chester goal.

Five minutes later it was Scott McManus’ turn to try one from distance but the left back saw his 30 yard effort fly over the bar.

Then it was a spell of dominance in terms of chances from Chester. McManus was forced to header Ross Hannah’s cross-come shot over his own bar. From the resulting corner, a goal mouth scramble ensued and the ball found its way to Ben Heneghan a yard out but it somehow slipped through his legs.

Heneghan had another chance moments later when John Rooney’s free-kick found him free at the back post but he could only put his header wide. 

Matty Glennon was called into action after quarter of an hour when Tom Shaw broke into the box but the Town ‘keeper was equal to the midfielder’s  left footed shot. 

In the 30th minute Ross Hannah saw his left footed shot palmed away by Glennon before Rooney went close with a curling effort from the edge of the area. For all of Halifax’s decent build up play, they did not amount much goalmouth action and they were duly punished.

The first goal came on the stroke of half-time. A Chester attack down the left was fed towards the area, and when Julian Banton and debutant Nat Brown went for the same ball, the space opened up for Roberts who set himself and fired past Glennon to make it 1-0. Emotional scenes saw the Chester fans gove a standing ovation for Roberts, who returned after his younger brother’s death a couple of weeks ago.

The second half didn’t get much better for The Shaymen as Hunt doubled Chester’s lead ten minutes into the second half. A nice one two around the Halifax area between Hannah and Hunt saw the latter finish smartly in the area to make it 2-0. 

It took The Shaymen to be two goals down to burst into life and they dominated for large parts of the second half. Burrow saw his header tipped over the bar from James Bolton’s cross from the right before he had volley that just went wide of Worsnop’s post after a lifted pass over the top by Shaun Tuton. 

The number nine did eventually get his goal though in the 73rd minute. After the Chester defence dawdled on a bouncing ball, it found its way to Tuton, who laid it off to Burrow and his first time placed finish went in off the post to make it 2-1.

Burrow then had a header that just looped over the bar from Bolton’s cross before substitute Kevin Roberts had a curling effort from the edge of the area brilliantly saved by Worsnop. For all the late pressure though, Chester stood firm and held out for the win.

    Latest Match Reports