Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Oct 15 at 21:30 PM

Grimsby: Report

FC Halifax Town felt the full force of a phenomenal Grimsby Town display as the Shaymen conceded seven goals for the second time in four games.

The Mariners completely, and convincingly, overwhelmed the Shaymen as Padraig Amond scored four, in addition to two goals from Omar Bogle and a solitary strike from Craig Clay.

It doesn’t seem like two minutes since Lois Maynard scored a scorcher here in Cleethorpes as Town roared towards the play-offs in 2014, in a game where they made it eleven hours without conceding a goal.

But Town fans might need to be patient before they start to witness similar, unforgettable evenings of magic as the Shaymen’s leaky defence continued to ship goals at an alarming rate.

Town have now not managed to keep a clean sheet in 25 outings and have conceded 17 goals in their previous four fixtures; with Matt Glennon having to pick the ball out of the net after only ten minutes at Blundell Park.

A deep ball into the box wasn’t dealt with by a static four-man Town defence – including Julian Banton at right-back and minus the injured Scott McManus – leaving the impressive Amond to find Andy Monkhouse with a clever hook and Monkhouse to square for Bogle who had the easy task of sweeping the ball into the bottom corner for his eighth of the campaign.

Monkhouse, who was causing problems, had to be replaced by Marcus Marshall on 22 minutes and Town, finally, looked to find their feet. CJ Hamilton raced clear only to be met by Shaun Pearson, with Kingsley James firing the loose ball over the bar.

Chances were then traded at both ends as Bogle volleyed wide after some neat control before Kieran Sadlier, in only his second start since his loan move from Peterborough United, curled inches wide in what proved to be Town’s best chance of the night.

Nathan Arnold then sent a spectacular overhead kick off target but the Mariners did not have to wait long to double their lead. A cross from the right was met by the head of Bogle, who guided the ball towards the far post. Amond intervened, however, with his vicious shot striking the bar and seemingly cannoning into the net off the unfortunate Glennon.

Glennon was then beaten by a long range Bogle daisy-cutter, which flew past a sea of bodies, on 42 minutes, but it was to get worse for Town before the interval.

Amond was a nuisance again, tormenting the Shaymen down the left before cutting inside onto his right foot to find the top corner.

As the shell-shocked Town players left the pitch, the 3806 home supporters rose as one to applaud their team off. But they were on their feet a mere ten minutes after the restart.

Bogle’s contribution proved invaluable again, this time producing dazzling footwork on the edge of the box before releasing former Shayman Clay to nestle a precise shot into Glennon’s bottom corner.

Bogle was soon replaced but Amond was having the game of his life and he grabbed his treble on 77 minutes with another composed finish.

It says a lot when Town’s best effort of the second half was an inadvertent touch by a Grimsby defender which drifted just wide.

But the night belonged to Amond who added to his tally by clipping the ball over an advancing Glennon to seal another 7-0 defeat for the Shaymen, just ten days after Cheltenham did exactly the same.

    Latest Match Reports