Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Apr 15 at 17:00 PM

Torquay United: Report

FC Halifax Town succumbed to a third successive defeat in their final game at the Shay as they were beaten 2-0 by Torquay United in a game which featured a superb free kick from Kadell Daniel.

The Gulls scored twice within a couple of minutes late into the second half as John Campbell neatly finished past Glennon before Daniel fired a thunderous strike past the keeper from 35 yards out.

Neil Aspin made three changes to the team that was beaten by Eastleigh on Tuesday night. Graham Hutchison was put back into a back four after coming off early against Barnet and Adam Smith returned following suspension.

The visitors were still without their top goal scorer, Ryan Bowman, who scored in the last meeting back in December when the Gulls came out as 2-1 winners. He was sidelined with a shoulder injury.

Still it was the away side who got off to the brighter start. Ashley Yeoman tried to build on his goal against Lincoln in his last run out when he was played into the box but he dragged his shot wide.

The impressive 18 year-old Dan Labercombe, who agreed a deal with Torquay yesterday to sign a professional contract with the club, was called into action after ten minutes when James Bolton headed from close range at the back post but he pushed his effort over the bar.

Sadly this was the last we saw of Bolton as he was forced off with what looked to be a calf injury and he was replaced by Matty Pearson who came into right back.

Like their standings in the table there was little to separate the two teams in the opening half hour as both sides struggled to create a great deal of chances.

Just moments from the break, Matty Glennon put his side in a bit of trouble when he sliced his clearance but when Yeoman shot at goal, the keeper recovered by making a fine save.

At half time Aspin altered the frontline by bringing in Jamie Jackson in place of Hattersley.

The Shaymen were let off just after the break when Marc Roberts and Glennon failed to communicate and allowed Toby Ajala to go round the pair of them but he failed to keep the ball in play.

Jack Muldoon impressed in his last outing against Eastleigh but he was unable to find the net before coming off for Danny Schofied. He got his only chance when he dribbled past two defenders into the box but his effort flew well over the bar.

Like Mudoon, Kevin Roberts also put in a good performance after returning to the side on Tuesday night and he came close to putting the Shaymen in front. Smith, who had been causing both full backs problems all afternoon found the defender in the box but he headed wide.

As the second half wore on it looked more likely that Town would find the decisive goal. Jackson latched on to a through ball but his effort was saved by the feet of Labercombe.

Despite the pressure Torquay came back on the offensive and shocked the Shaymen with a double attack. On the 70th minute Campbell latched onto a flick on from Yeoman and then Kadell Daniel fired the visitors into a two goal lead with a stunning free kick from 35 yards out.

His side continued to press but they were unable to find a way past the young goalkeeper who managed to keep his third clean sheet in a row.

This result leaves the Shaymen in ninth with one more game to go against Woking next Saturday.


FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Bolton, McManus, M. Roberts, Smith, Muldoon, Marshall, Hutchison, K. Roberts, Hatfield, Hattersley

Torquay United: Labercombe, Downes, Pearce, Harding, Briscoe, Ajala, Yeoman, McQuilkin, Ives, Daniel, Dawson

Referee: Martin Coy 
Assistant Referee: Steven Mycock and John Walto 
Fourth Official: Ian Johnston

Attendance: 1175 (128 away)

    Latest Match Reports