Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 06 Apr 15 at 17:00 PM

Lincoln City: Report

FC Halifax Town came back from a goal down on Monday to draw 1-1 with Lincoln City at Sincil Bank. Hamza Bencherif gave the home side a first half lead before Lois Maynard equalised with a 25-yard volley late in the second half.

The opening minutes of the game were evenly contested and it was hard to separate the two teams. The home side went ahead on 12 minutes though, with their first effort on goal of the afternoon. A long throw into the box from Jordan Keane was well met by Hamza Bencherif and he fired a confident header down into the bottom corner.

FC Halifax Town responded well and nearly drew level after 20 minutes. Jack Muldoon picked up the ball in his own half, shrugged off three Lincoln players but his shot was well saved by Farman in the Lincoln goal.

The away side were improving as the half went on and Muldoon went close again on the half hour mark. His spin and shot on the edge of the area took a slight deflection off a Lincoln man and his shot cannoned off Paul Farman’s right post. Muldoon could have scored immediately after that as well. Will Hatfield burst through the middle and got a shot away but Farman pushed it out and Muldoon could only put the rebound over the bar.

Town’s best chance to equalise before the break fell to James Bolton. Muldoon was involved again and he pulled a ball back to Scott Boden in the six yard box but his shot was blocked. Bolton followed up on the rebound but his placed shot went agonisingly wide of the Lincoln post.

The second half started much the same as the first with both sides cancelling each other out. The opening chance of the half fell to Marc Roberts from a corner kick but his header was cleared off the line. Jamie Jackson pounced on the rebound but smashed his shot right across the goal mouth.

Almost instantly after that Lincoln nearly doubled their lead. A shot was saved by Matt Glennon and Alan Power put the resulting shot over the bar when it looked far easier to score. As FC Halifax pushed for the equaliser, Bencherif nearly scored his second following a Lincoln corner. The Ball was initially cleared but Bencherif was first to the ball back in and his ambitious overhead kick was only narrowly wide of Glennon’s right post.

Neil Aspin’s men were pushing for the equaliser and it seemed as though it was going to be one of those afternoons. However, in the 90th minute the ball fell kindly to Lois Maynard who smashed a half-volley into the top corner from twenty-five yards out.

The game wasn’t over though and the away side continued to push for a winner. Jack Muldoon broke free of the defence and was brought down by Jordan Cranston who had already been booked. He received his second yellow card and was given his marching orders.

The game finished 1-1 and FC Halifax Town will now look to the game away at Barnet on Saturday 11th April.

    Latest Match Reports