Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Feb 15 at 16:45 PM

Braintree: Report

FC Halifax Town won 1-0 to break their goal scoring drought against Braintree Town and continue their surge for the play-offs.

The Shaymen have now won four league games in a row as they continue to put pressure on the teams above them.

Super-sub, Jamie Jackson helped break the Iron Curtain, which had withstood the Shaymen’s attacks for the last three meetings.

Jackson grabbed his fourth of the season, as he headed in James Bolton’s cross in the dying minutes.

The first 45 minutes followed the previous encounters between the two sides, as chances came at a premium and the Iron’s defence still remained intact.

There was not many chances for either side in the early exchanges, but it was Town who were dominating the possession, as Maynard and Pearson bosses the centre of the pitch.

The Shaymen’s control nearly broke the deadlock through Lois Maynard, as the match ticked over ten minutes. The midfielder picked up Richard Peniket’s knock down and drove forward; advancing into the box and he picked his spot and fired his shot towards the far corner, but Nick Hamann was equal to the effort.

As the game progressed towards the half-hour mark, Town created another great chance. Maynard fired the ball into the feet of Danny Hattersley, which Paul Marshall cleverly dummied. Hattersley then flicked the ball round the corner to Marshall, who was making his first appearance since the away trip to AFC Telford United, but Marshall could only lob the ball over the top of Hamann and the Braintree bar.

Hattersley had a chance of his own minutes later. Adam Smith, once again looked to beat Simeon Akinola and Sam Habergham, and fired a cross into the box. The 22-year-old met the ball on the volley but could not steer his effort on target.

Five minutes before halftime, the Iron created their first chance. Dan Sparks drove in a corner and the ball eventually fell to the left foot of Remy Clerima. Similar to Hattersley’s effort at the other end, Clerima could not keep his volley down and the ball sailed over Matt Glennon’s bar.

But Glennon was called into action minutes later. Graham Hutchison, making his debut for the Shaymen, sliced his clearance and Glennon leaped backwards to claw the ball away from the line to save the blushes of what was an impressive first half debut for Hutchison.

The Shaymen made a blistering start to the second half and very nearly scored their first goal of the afternoon and their first goal against the Iron. James Bolton chipped in a deep cross, which was met by the towering figure of Hattersley. Hattersley header was goal-bound until it was cleared off the line. The ball then fell to the feet of Scott McManus but he could not poke the ball past the crowd of defenders and into the corner.

The Iron looked to catch the Shaymen on the break throughout the match and on the hour-mark it nearly paid off. Dan Sparks broke away and spread the ball to the left side, where Akinola had come forward. Town were caught in a 3-on-2 situation and when Bolton’s tackle on Akinola was not cleared properly, Chez Isaac had the chance to shoot, but fired wide.

It was the men in orange who created another chance, on the breakaway once again. Clerima picked the ball up and bombed forward after Akinola had been fouled. Clerima slipped the ball into the path of Marks but his shot lacked any real power and Glennon made a good save down to his left.

Glennon was called into action once again, as the Iron came forward with Marks and Akinola. Marks held off Marc Roberts and picked out Akinola on the edge of the box. The winger drove into the box and smashed the ball towards the bottom corner, but there was Glennon once again to keep the scores level.

As the game ticked closer to 90 minutes, substitute, Bernard Mensah had a chance to snatch the winner for the away side. Akinola powered in a free kick from the left and the ball looped up in the air and fell to Mensah. But the man on loan from Watford could only blaze over from 12 yards.

Mensah would have been rueing his missed chance minutes later had the linesman not raised his flag for offside. Roberts swung in a cross from the left after taking a throw and Peniket headed the ball down at the back post for substitute, Jack Muldoon. Muldoon stretched and poked the ball home, only to see the linesman on the far side flag for offside.

But in the dying seconds of the game the Shaymen finally broke the Iron curtain. Bolton swung a cross from the right and there was super-sub, Jamie Jackson, to stoop down to head the ball into the bottom corner to send the Shay into raptures.

The Shaymen remain unbeaten in 2015 and the three points has lifted them to seventh in the Vanarama Conference.

    Latest Match Reports