Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Oct 14 at 16:45 PM

Kidderminster: Report

FC Halifax Town picked up their first win in October as they secured a 2-0 win over Kidderminster Harriers. 
The win moves the Shaymen up to second place in the Vanarama Conference with 31 points. 
It was an energetic start to the game for the Shaymen, who were looking to put the defeat against Eastleigh firmly in the past, as they pressed on from the first minute against Kidderminster. 
Scott McManus had a chance to grab the lead for Town in the opening minute as his long range shot, forced Harriers goalkeeper Danny Lewis to be on his toes to tip the ball over the crossbar. 
Kidderminster seemed to be struggling with the pace of Halifax early on, as Scott Boden and Richard Peniket both looked lively in the first half and both had chances to open the scoring for Town. 
Steve Williams also had a number of chances, he was set up nicely by Boden after a Marc Roberts long throw-in, but Williams was unable to direct his header goalwards and it went marginally wide of the post. 
Town had to wait until the 35th minute to grab a well deserved lead, after Peniket found Lois Maynard, who dribbled into the box with the ball at his feet and drilled a well executed shot into the bottom right hand corner. 
Kidderminster had a chance to grab the equaliser, after Jared Hodkiss’ cross almost found the head of captain Michael Gash, but it was just over his head and Halifax managed to escape the danger. 
It then did not take long for the Shaymen to double their lead and Peniket, who was drafted into the starting line-up after Danny Hattersley dropped out due to illness, was rewarded for his persistence after picking up the ball in the box. 
The Harriers defence failed to deal with the danger,and Peniket was able to run the ball to the byline and managed to stay composed to fire his shot towards goal at a difficult angle to make it 2-0 to Halifax. 
Peniket then picked up where he left off in the first half and had a chance in the opening minute of the second half. The striker again made a fantastic run into the box, but was unable to direct his shot past Danny Lewis in the Harriers goal. 
The striker also found himself in another good position to grab another goal, after Adam Smith’s ball managed to find its way through the Kidderminster defence and Peniket was able to latch onto it, but his shot was blocked by Lewis. 
Matt Glennon and the Halifax defence looked untroubled throughout the game, as they dealt with everything the Kidderminster frontline had to throw at them. 
Second half substitute Jamie Jackson had a chance to get the third goal for the Shaymen, after he latched onto a ball from Peniket but he was outmuscled in the box and could not get his shot away in time and Kidderminster were able to clear. 
Jackson and Peniket showed some fantastic link up play as they continued to terrorise the Kidderminster defence throughout the second half. 
Straight down at the other end, the Harriers looked to grab one back through their second half substitute Josh O’Keefe but his shot was fired over the crossbar. 
Nathan Blissett had another chance to get Kidderminster back in it, but he could not get the ball from under his feet and he fires his shot wide of the post, as Marc Roberts makes the challenge to put pressure on the Harriers striker. 
Kidderminster saw their best chance of the game go missing, as Glennon somehow managed to get his body across the line of the goal to tip the ball onto the post after Ahmed Obeng’s shot. The Harriers then continued to look for a way through but yet again the ball is blocked off the line and eventually Peniket was able to show his defensive skills by clearing the ball. 
The Harriers had a handful of chances to pull a goal back and reduce the deficit in the closing minutes, but they were unable to break down the solid defence of Halifax and the Shaymen were able to take all three points.

    Latest Match Reports