Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Oct 14 at 16:45 PM

FC Halifax Town 1 Altrincham 3.......

FC Halifax Town suffered their first home defeat of the campaign as Altrincham stunned the hosts 3-1.

The Shaymen went into the game unbeaten in 4 games, meanwhile the visitors were also full of confidence following a 1-0 win over rivals Macclesfield Town in mid-week. 

Town had previously kept 7 clean sheets from the first 13 games so far this season meanwhile; Altrincham had only picked up a point on their travels so far. The result is one very few people will have seen coming.

Paul Marshall had the game’s first shot on 5 minutes, neither team came out of the traps with great impetus and the game’s first effort reflected this as he scuffed his volley and just wide of the post. 

The home side took charge of the game after this first shot was registered. Marc Roberts was proving a menace in the opponents half. His bullet-like throw-ins and searching balls from the back proved a real nuisance for the visitors.

Matty Pearson had the game’s first meaningful chance just past the half-hour mark. A long ball from the back was won and flicked on by Scott Boden, it sent Matty Pearson through on goal but Altrincham’s Scott Leather did enough to put Pearson off, as he screwed his shot inches wide of the post. 

Altrincham’s goal came on 35 minutes. Nicholas Clee stunned the home crowd with a sweetly-struck shot into the bottom corner. Clee had found space on the edge of the area, he had continuously found space in the half and on this occasion he unleashed a shot to the surprise of everyone, including goalkeeper Matt Glennon who was rooted to the spot as the shot flew past him. 

The Shaymen were unlucky not go into the break on even terms however after Danny Hattersley’s header crashed against the post. Hattersley rose highest to meet Adam Smith’s teasing cross to the back-post.  That was the home side’s the best chance of the half as Altrincham took a one-goal advantage into the second period.  

The home side struggled to create chances in the second-half just as they had in the first; Pearson had one of his side’s better efforts just after the hour-mark. Kevin Roberts did well down the right-hand side before he sent a lofted ball to the back post, Boden headed it down but Pearson again put his shot just wide.

Altrincham doubled their lead in the 75th minute as they again stunned the hosts. Some static Town defending created the opportunity for James Lawrie to extend his side’s lead, he found space  in the area as he ‘chested’ and then volleyed the ball into the bottom side of the goal.

Substitute Kyle Perry extended his side’s lead just minutes later. They Shaymen were pressing hard in the opponents half when the away side caught them on the counter-attack. Altrincham cleared the ball down the field, Marc Roberts missed the ball and Perry raced through on goal and placed a shot that despite Glennon getting a hand to, found the back of the net.

The home side hit back in the 82nd minute, a lofted corner was met by Marc Roberts at the back post who headed into the centre, where Scott Boden rose well and nodded the ball in for his 7th goal of the season.

Altrincham goal-keeper Stuart Coburn denied The Shaymen a second goal in the space of a couple of minutes, Kevin Roberts did superbly to control the ball before he volleyed superbly, it looked a certain goal until Coburn’s full-stretch save.

FC Halifax Town remain in 2nd place in the Vanarama Conference and will be looking to put today’s defeat behind them as soon as possible. Next up for The Shaymen is Wrexham at home on Tuesday evening. The side from North Wales have been in a rich vein of form recently but also tasted defeat today at the hands of Torquay United.

    Latest Match Reports