Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 at 21:45 PM

FC Halifax Town Drew 1-1......

FC Halifax Town were held to a 1-1 draw at the Shay in their match against Grimsby Town this afternoon.
The Shaymen got off to the perfect start with a goal in three minutes coming from Paul Marshall with a superb free kick to place Halifax into an early lead.
But it was not long before Grimsby responded with the equaliser ten minutes later through Scott Neilson.
The game got off to a very energetic start but it was the Shaymen who drew first blood.
Halifax had their first chance on three minutes and put it into the back of the net with a superb curled free kick from Marshall, leaving Grimsby goalkeeper, James McKeown with no chance, after Richard Peniket was fouled.
However Grimsby responded well and slotted home their equaliser in the 14th minute, through Scott Neilson, who curled his strike from just inside the box and the ball went in off Matt Glennon’s far post.
Both Grimsby and Neilson had another chance minutes later after he struck another effort from just inside the box but this time it was dragged wide.
Grimsby then began to have more possession and have more opportunities in the box since their equaliser, but Marc Roberts and Steve Williams were strong at the back and manage to keep Grimsby out.
Halifax then began to press once again through a Marshall free kick, who curled his cross into the box and Marc Roberts managed to get his head on it but McKeown was able to carry away the danger.
It then became a game of end to end stuff with Grimsby attacking once again, this time through Ross Hannah who struck a shot well from 25 yards but it was dragged narrowly wide of the post.
Grimsby also had a goal disallowed for offside towards the end of the first half after some fantastic fancy footwork from Neilson on the edge of the area, who was able to feed the ball to captain Craig Disley who had the initial shot on goal from outside of the box but it was pushed away by Glennon into the path of Scott Brown who slotted home the rebound but was judged to be offside by the linesman.
Towards the end of the first half, Halifax had an opportunity to put the pressure on Grimsby after Danny Schofield’s corner found Adam Smith, who made the leap in the box but McKeown again made a fantastic save to keep the winger’s header out.
Scott Boden also had a chance after a Marc Roberts long throw in was headed on in the box by the Grimsby defence and it fell to Boden who fired his volley high over the bar.
The second half began much like the first, with both teams flying out of the blocks.
Halifax had the first best chance of the second half, with Smith finding second half substitute Kevin Roberts in the box, who pulled the ball back beautifully looking for Boden but he missed it and Peniket was also unable to put the ball in the back of the net.
The Shaymen then began to press more as Marc Roberts’ cross into the box found Boden who had a free header but he was unable to direct the ball into the goal.
Halifax were knocking on the door and asking questions of the Grimsby defence in the second half but they were unable to find the breakthrough.
Adam Smith showed his blistering pace as he crossed a number of balls into the box but no one in a Halifax shirt was quite able to get on the end of it.
There was a goal line scramble late on in the second half as Grimsby began to press more into the Halifax area, but the defence dealt with the chances well, as Steve Williams was able to head the danger clear.
Matt Pearson had a chance to grab the winner late on but saw his fantastic overhead kick fire marginally over the crossbar and at the full-time whistle both teams were unable to find the winning goal and were forced to share the points.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Bolton (16’ K.Roberts), McManus, M. Roberts, Pearson, Smith (Dyer ’80), Peniket, Marshall, Williams, Maynard (42’ Schofield), Boden.

Substitutes: Senior, Ainge, Dyer, K.Roberts, Schofield

Goals: Marshall (‘3)

Yellow cards: M. Roberts

Red Cards:

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Brown, Pearson, Magnay, Mackreth (McLaughlin), Disley, Hannah, Neilson, Doig, Clay, Nsiala.

Substitutes: Bignot, Humble, Walker, Winfarrah, McLaughlin

Goals: Neilson (’14)

Yellow Cards: Brown, Pearson, Nsiala

Red Cards:

Referee: Ben Toner

Attendance: 1,867   Away fans: 456


Paul MarshallMan of the Match:

    Latest Match Reports