Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Dec 14 at 16:45 PM

Nuneaton: Report

FC Halifax Town bagged themselves an early Christmas present, in the form of three points in a 2-0 win against Nuneaton Town.

Goals from James Bolton and Lois Maynard in the second half and James Armson saw red, as the Shaymen secured all the points.

It was a frustrating start to the afternoon for the Shaymen with Nuneaton producing spectacular moments of defending to prevent Town taking the lead.

Shots from Richard Peniket, Scott Boden and Will Hatfield were all blocked off the line in a series of impressive displays in last ditch defending.

Peniket had the first chance in Halifax’s best attacking opportunity of the half, but his header was carried away by Christian Dibble in the Nuneaton goal, but only as far as Boden whose shot was blocked off the line by Ben Starosta. The resulting ball then fell to Hatfield, the midfielder sent his low driven shot goalwards but it was cleared off the line once more, this time by Nuneaton captain Theo Streete.

It was a busy afternoon for Dibble and the Nuneaton defence, with Halifax constantly posing an attacking threat.

There were a number of opportunities for the Shaymen to break the deadlock in the first-half. Maynard had a chance to continue is recent goal-scoring form as he saw his header from a Danny Schofield chip ball in the box topple over the crossbar.

Town then continued to dominate possession but failed to make the most of their chances to take the lead in the first-half. Adam Smith looked lively as he caused the Nuneaton defence problems, with his constant attacking threat down the right-hand side.

The winger was unable to make the most of his golden opportunity, when Matt Glennon distributed a perfectly executed ball into the path of Smith, who latched onto the ball and drifted infield, only to see his shot go over the crossbar.

Despite the number of Nuneaton calamities at the back, the Shaymen were unable to latch onto any of the errors and went into the break on equal terms.

Town picked up from where they left off in the second-half, with Kevin Roberts dribbling the ball into the box before flashing his low-driven shot inches wide of the right-hand post.

It was not long before Nuneaton put themselves under more pressure, when Armson saw red for an elbow on Scott McManus.

The Shaymen then made the most of the one man advantage and broke the deadlock ten minutes later, when Jamie Jackson’s chipped ball in the box found the head of James Bolton who was able to direct his header into the back of the net to score his second of the season.

Nuneaton offered little upfront as Glennon had a quiet evening between the posts, as the centre back pairing of Marc Roberts and Bolton stood firm in front of him, to keep the few Nuneaton attacks at bay.

Second-half substitute Ross Dyer after Boden showed some impressive footwork to put the ball into the box for Dyer, but the ball was slightly behind the striker and his shot is straight at Dibble in the Nuneaton goal.

Things got better for Town as Maynard got his sixth goal in ten games to double the lead for the Shaymen. Hatfield sent the corner in and Maynard got his head to it, as Dibble has an afternoon to forget as the ball falls straight through his hands and into the back of the net.

Maynard’s goal, was the last goal-scoring opportunity of the match as the Shaymen took all three points heading into the festive period.

    Latest Match Reports