Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Aug 14 at 16:45 PM

Town Win 1-0......

A thunderous drive from Scott McManus was enough for Halifax, as they took all three points at Dover. 
Unlike last year’s 11 game wait for an away win, Town managed it with the first game of the season away on the South coast. 
The goal came in the first couple of minutes of the second half, as Scott Boden released McManus and he fired home from 20 yards. 
A late red card for Simon Ainge, after he collected his second yellow card of the afternoon, did not help Dover, as Town took the victory.  
  A Danny Schofield shot that clattered against the bar was the highlight of the half. 
The midfielder, who recently signed terms with the Shaymen received the ball at the back post and fired his shot towards the far right corner. The ball looped over the helpless Mitch Walker and crashed off the bar. 
Town dominated the first early stages of the match, as they looked to carry on their impressive form from last year. 
Marc Roberts propelled four long throws into the box within the first 15 minutes. Simon Ainge got his head to the first throw, heading over from 12 yards as he went unchallenged. 
It was Ainge again who latched on to Marc Robert’s second delivery.  Ainge’s header went wide instead of over this time. 
Marc Robert’s next throw was nearly turned in by a Dover defender and then shortly afterwards, James Bolton put his header wide from Marc Robert’s fourth delivery. 
The Whites started to get back in the game, as Ricky Modeste and Nathan Elder caused Ainge and Marc Roberts trouble at the back. 
Several times Modeste charged forward, several times Ainge denied the pacey forward. 
But it was not long before Ainge or Marc Roberts got one of those challenges wrong. 
First it was Marc Roberts, who could not catch up with Modeste and pulled the no.7 down. The first yellow card of the afternoon was justly shown to Marc Roberts. 
Elder eventually got away from the Dover defence and had his chance. The ball was crossed in from the left and Elder was left unmarked. However, he struggled to get the correct contact with his head and the ball went disappointingly over for the home fans. 
Over than long throws and blocked shots, the Shaymen struggled to cause the home side’s defence problems. 
That was until Schofield had his chance towards the end of the half. 
His shot bouncing off the bar after Kevin Roberts had chased down and crossed the ball. 
As the minutes ticked towards halftime, the game developed an edge, as a couple of unwanted challenges occurred. 
Firstly, Matt Pearson was on the end of a two footed lunge from Sean Raggett, which could, and should have been a red card. However, the referee thought differently and produced a yellow card. 
Then Ainge timed one of his challenges wrong and was given a yellow card, even when the home crowd shouted “red”. 
Town started the second half with a new formation and a goal. 
Minutes after the Shaymen switched to a 4-3-3, Scott McManus opened Town’s account for the season. 
Scott Boden carried the ball forward and fed McManus. The fullback, who was in acres of space, took a couple of touches and then fired a lovely low shot into the bottom right corner from 20 yards. 
Halftime substitutes, Adam Smith and Paul Marshall stretched the home side and caused the fullbacks problems, which they did not have in the first half. 
Having gone in front early on, Town looked to control the game as the minutes ticked on. 
Boden looked to assist his second goal of the afternoon as he pounced on a defensive error. 
A poor back-pass allowed Boden to collect the ball and round Walker, however he went too wide. When he pulled the ball back to Marshall, he lost his footing at the vital moment and sent shot just wide from the edge of the box. 
As the match ticked on, the Whites made several attacking substitues. 
This gave the home side that added impetus as they searched for that equaliser. 
Several chances were created but the Town defence stood tall and put their bodies on the line. Whether it was chest, head, or foot, the Shaymen denied the Dover attacks. 
A late red card for Ainge, after he received his second yellow but a dampener on the afternoon’s proceedings. 
But Town held firm and took the victory. 

    Latest Match Reports