Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 14 Feb 14 at 05:01 AM

Town Win 1-0.......

Lois Maynard grabbed the only goal of the night as Halifax's beat Grimsby Town 1-0 at Blundell Park, continuing their marvellous run to nine games unbeaten, whilst moving Neil Aspin's side to third in the league table.
Matt Glennon and Town's defence held strong and earned their eighth clean sheet out of their last nine league games. The strike from Maynard was sweet and deserved, but the home side rued missed chances early on into the game.
Both sides started brightly looking to get advantage in the race to finish in the play-offs. The hosts had a chance to opening the scoring within only the second minute. Andy Cook headed over the bar following a cross from Sam Hatton. Matty Glennon – on his 100th appearance for the club watched the ball sail aimlessly over his bar.
Halifax took the game into their stride and also attempted to break the deadlock, with their first attempt from Matt Pearson. The midfielder pounced on the loose ball just outside of the box, but snatched at the shot as it trickled wide of James McKeown's goal.
The first real chance of the night fell to Oumare Tounkara. The striker wriggled free of both Marc Roberts and Chris Smith to move one-on-one with Glennon. Halifax's number one rushed out to meet the striker and dropped to the floor as the shot was unleashed. The ball bounced off Glennon's studs and fell out of play for a throw in. The scoreline should have been broken, but the goalkeeper stayed strong - and at half time reached 10 hours without conceding a goal.
Scott Spencer also had the chance to put Halifax in front, but was denied by a fantastic diving save from McKeown. A throw in on the right was taken by James Bolton, found Lee Gregory who chested the ball down towards his strike partner. Spencer unleashed a volley from the edge of the box, but his effort was comfortably saved.
Grimsby had the better chance moments before the interval to again break the deadlock. Scott Neilson darted towards Glennon after picking up a loose ball, hit the it from the edge of the box but his shot sailed over the bar.
Joe Colbeck rued a chance minutes after the re-start following a defensive mishap from The Shaymen. Tounkara wriggled free from Smith, but was intercepted by Roberts. However, the pass found its way towards the midfielder – in acres of space – who controlled the ball and took his shot, but had too much onto it and watched it sail into row z.
Maynard eventually gave The Shaymen the lead only ten minutes into the second half. Paul Marshall with the clinical pass towards his team-mate - but hit the heels of Maynard. However, this did not matter. The ball was taken on the turn and immediately hit with his left foot. James McKeown stretched but could not reach the thunderous shot.
Grimsby looked to try and get back into the game immediately after Halifax had taken their lead and came close through Andy Cook. Hatton provided yet another cross, found his team-mate but could only manage to head the chance over Glennon's bar.
Scott McManus almost doubled The Shaymen's lead following great link-up play with Gregory. The striker managed to control the ball on his chest, darted down the wing, picked out McManus, the defender turned winger took a first time shot with his left foot, but his shot zipped inches wide.
Although leading 1-0, Halifax continued to attack looking for the second goal that could kill off the game. Gregory had the first effort on the 80th minute, after collecting the ball within his normal fashion, the striker turned towards goal and struck the ball from 25 yards. The effort flew miles over the bar, as did Marshall's effort moments later.
As the final whistle neared, Grimsby threw everything towards Glennon in search of the equaliser. Ross Hannah had the first attempt, but for a fantastic block by Marc Roberts. The shot was hit on the volley, but the defender was able to put his body in the way.
Substitute Paddy Mclaughlin also had a chance to find that needed goal. After winning the ball on the edge of the box, the midfielder moved inside the box, took a shot across goal but it flew wide amide the delight of the Halifax defence.
Going into the death of the game, Neilson was brought down to the ground just outside the box after a foul from James Bolton. The defender was branded the yellow card but McLaughlin smashed his shot – and the last effort of the night - over the bar.
The result moved Halifax up to third in the league table with 73 points, with better goal difference than Grimsby who also sit with the same amount of points.

    Latest Match Reports