Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 31 Oct 13 at 05:03 AM

Town Lose 3-2......

Hereford United twice come from behind to take both the 3-2 win and all three points away from the Shaymen, who at one point, looked set to grab their first away win of the season.
FC Halifax Town made a very bright start at Edgar Street and they certainly didn’t look like a team that are yet to get three points on the road.
The trend of the typical Shaymen away day was started early but despite a seeming lack of luck for the first 20 minutes or so, Town set a pace that Hereford just couldn’t match and it wasn’t long before their hunger paid off. That pay off came in the form of a penalty decision for the Shaymen, as Kevin Holsgrove was brought down in the box, only for Wilson to smash home the resulting 20th minute penalty.
Almost instantly however began to make some mistakes and it was a mixture of this and an upped Hereford intensity that caused the equaliser. A needless and albeit soft foul on the touchline gave Hereford United a free-kick in a very dangerous area. The subsequent delivery led to a fantastic O’Keefe header equalising the score-line in the 38th minute.
Again, that little bit of luck that you need to pick up points away from home just wasn’t there Town. Without Ainge and Toulson already the blues were short at the back, so losing both Marc Roberts and captain Danny Lowe in the first 45 doesn’t help.
Things began to get a little heated just before the half-time whistle but given this 45 minutes is probably the best football Town have played away from home all season and especially taking into account their away form, Aspin would’ve been the happier manager at the break.
As the teams came out after the break, there was almost a sense of belief about Halifax and it was apparent in the slick football that followed.
Every time Town came forward, they looked busy, and they really began to utilise the combination of McManus and Holsgrove which could be used more given it’s effect. But the next bit of play came from new signing Sam Patterson on his debut, who dribbled in and out of Hereford’s defenders before delivering a perfect cross right onto the thankful head of another loanee signing in Joe Ironside who just had to cushion the ball into the net in the 61st minute. A deserved lead for the Shaymen who worked very hard to get that important away goal. Their celebrations showed the 50 Shaymen fans how much they wanted that away win.
However, the celebrations were short lived, just 11 minutes later, on 72 minutes, Hereford came from behind for the second time in this game, courtesy of a Dom Collins header. Again the ball was whipped in from a set-piece, this time it was a corner that provided the goal.
True to the travelling Town’s terrible fortunes on the road, with the next five minutes came heartbreak for Halifax with a third Hereford goal. It seemed like a mix-up at the back and substitute Odhiambo was on site to coolly slot home the winner on 77 minutes.
As difficult as it will be for Town, they need to take the positives out of this game. Bearing in mind all three Hereford goals came from set-pieces, and Town didn’t have their first choice back-four after two first half injuries. You could say the goals could’ve been avoided easily given a little luck (no injuries) as set-pieces are exactly what the like of Ainge, Toulson, Lowe and Roberts work on all week in training.

    Latest Match Reports