Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 at 06:11 AM

Town Lose 5-1......

FC Halifax Town suffered a nightmare start to life back in the Conference, losing 5-1 away at Cambridge United.
The Shaymen played the majority of the match with nine men after captain Danny Lowe and goalkeeper Matt Glennon were sent off for professional fouls inside 23 minutes.
It looked like it might be a good afternoon for the Shaymen when they made a flying start to the match at the R Costings’ Abbey Stadium, with Lee Gregory opening the scoring in the eighth minute.
However that would prove to be the catalyst that sparked Cambridge into life. Adam Cunnington scored a penalty and missed one as a result of the two fouls that lead to the dismissals of Lowe and Glennon.
The second-half become somewhat of a damage limitation mission for The Shaymen as they looked to keep the deficit down as much as they could. A goal from Ryan Donaldson before half-time, a second goal for Cunnington and a second-half brace from Cambridge substitute Delano Sam-Yorke condemned the Shaymen to a 5-1 defeat.
The goal for Town came from an in-swinging corner from the right, which was whipped into the danger area just evading Lois Maynard. Lee Gregory was on hand to turn the ball into the bottom corner after Adam Smith had done well to get the ball back in to the six-yard box.
The lead didn’t last long for the Shaymen though. Adam Cunnington converted a penalty after Danny Lowe had brought down Tom Elliott when he was through on goal. As a result of that Lowe was sent off for a professional foul as he was the last man.
Neil Aspin would have been forgiven for thinking that it couldn’t get any worse for Halifax in an eventful first-half, in the 23rd minute Cambridge were awarded another penalty and Matt Glennon was sent off for a professional foul when he brought down Harrison Dunk after a slack backpass by Marc Roberts.
Chaos ensued at the R Costings Abbey Stadium as Town needed to replace Glennon in order for the penalty to be taken. After three minutes of stoppage in play, Tom Morgan came on and his first task was to save the resulting penalty, diving down to his right and tipping Cunnington’s penalty round the post.
It was backs against the wall from there on in as the Shaymen looked to see out the first half without further setbacks. However despite some resolute defending, it was only a matter of time before Cambridge made their two-man advantage pay. Ryan Donaldson was the man to give Cambridge the lead, firing a shot low into the corner through a crow giving Tom Morgan given no chance in the Halifax goal in the 36th minute.
After the interval, Cambridge asserted their dominance over the newly-promoted visitors. However, it was the Shaymen who profited to their own downfall for the third Cambridge goal. Marc Roberts, who endured a torrid time on his league debut,  played another short back pass towards his goalkeeper which allowed Delano Sam-Yorke to race clear and slot the ball into the corner as Morgan raced off his line.
Cunnington, who impressed throughout, grabbed his second goal of the game to make it 4-1 in the 67th minute. He collected a pass from Nathan Arnold before rolling his man and firing his shot into the corner.
The final goal of the game gave Sam-Yorke his brace as he collected the ball inside the area and crashed the ball home via the underside of the crossbar.
The Shaymen will be grateful for a fine second-half performance by substitute goalkeeper Tom Morgan who make a catalogue of excellent saves to keep the score at 5-1, but it definitely wasn’t the start to the season they would have liked.
Attendance: 2780 (296 away supporters.)
CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Chris Maxwell, Greg Taylor(Berry 52), Tom Bonner, Ian Miller(capt), Ryan Donaldson, Tom Champion, Adam Cunnington, Tom Elliott(Sam-Yorke 43), Harrison Dunk, Richard Tait, Nathan Arnold(Hughes 72).
Subs: Rory McAuley, Liam Hughes, Luke Berry, Delano Sam-Yorke, Ben Wilson.
FC HALIFAX TOWN: Matt Glennon, Ryan Toulson, Marc Roberts(Briggs 52), Danny Lowe(capt), Scott McManus, Lois Maynard, Matty Pearson, Adam Smith(Morgan 23), Josh Wilson, Kevin Holsgrove(Ainge 15), Lee Gregory.
Subs: Keith Briggs, Alex Johnson, Dan Gardner, Simon Ainge, Tom Morgan.
Cambridge United goals: Cunnington(13 and 67) Donaldson (36) Sam-Yorke (49 and 71)
FC Halifax Town goals: Gregory (8)
FC Halifax Town Yellow cards: Pearson, Smith, Gregory, Ainge.
FC Halifax Town red cards: Lowe 12 mins. Glennon 21 mins.

    Latest Match Reports