Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 at 06:17 AM

Town Win 2-1.......

Josh Wilson's powerful header handed FC Halifax Town a first Skrill Premier away triumph of the campaign.

Joe Ironside nonchalantly gave the visitors the lead with a majestic piece of individual brilliance as Connor Essam's late consolation goal halved the arrears and ensured for an anxious ending.

Persistent, spirited and adventurous Neil Aspin's troops were thirsty for victory by plunging further misery on Dartford, who have now endured eight consecutive league defeats.

Nevertheless the Kent outfit began proceedings sprightly with both Lee Burns and David Martin utilising the flanks to good effect as Lee Noble swarmed around midfield nipping at the feet of Paul Marshall and Matty Pearson.

Yet Adam Smith almost planted an early sucker-punch, only for his sliding volley to skew harmlessly wide of Alan Julian's goal. Moments later and Smith, so often provider, galloped towards a swirling Josh Wilson cross but could not connect in front of the pocket of Shaymen supporters.
The awarding of a contentious free-kick against Pearson provided the hosts with an apt opportunity to take the lead, as Elliot Bradbrook nodded straight at Matt Glennon from an inviting Martin free-kick. Soon after Martin, on-loan from Luton Town, audaciously drilled a low effort at goal that required Glennon to turn the venomous shot around the post.

Defence soon turned into attack for Town as Smith's jinxing run and cross was headed on target by Ironside who towered over Kenny Clark.

With the interval approaching following a drab first-half, Clark woefully mis-judged a routine scooped pass from Smith, to allow Ironside a sight at goal, but his stroked attempt was diverted wide of the far-post by Julian's fingertips.

As the second-half commenced, Dartford's influence on play was diminishing with Halifax growing more enchanted as they offensively dictated the rhythm of the game.

With the match becoming increasingly frenetic Julian, a summer acquisition from Newport County, showcased his goalkeeping prowess with two splendid saves. With Smith now operating on the left he coaxed his way past Burns before smashing a strike straight at the veteran keeper, with the loose ball rolling inside the six-yard box Julian hooked the rebound from the toes of a rampaging Ironside.

Moments later and Marshall's stinging volley was destined for the bottom corner until the strong wrist of Julian clawed the strike out of harms way.

But increasing pressure from the West Yorkshire side was about to pay dividends.

And it came through Ironside, who grabbed his second ever league goal for FC Halifax, as he bamboozled Clark with a superb lob before thumping the ball beyond Julian's out-stretched leg. A stupendous strike that matched the Sheffield United loanee's tireless display.

Smelling further trepidation from the home faithful the men in blue and white plunged forward to seal a much coveted win. And it duly arrived as Josh Wilson guided a header past the hapless Julian to consolidate a first away win of the season for the Shaymen.

Game set and match... Or so it seemed.

Indecision from Glennon resulted in Connor Essam latching onto a Elliot Bradbrook free-kick through a sea of bodies, as he glanced a header into the unguarded net, with Glennon left to rue his mistake.

30 seconds later and Danny Harris was left ruing his finish as he snatched at a Martin cross that deceived the otherwise vigilant pairing of Simon Ainge">Simon Ainge and Marc Roberts.

Despite four minutes of stoppage time being sanctioned FC Halifax Town clung on to a precious three points.

    Latest Match Reports