Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 at 06:14 AM

Town Earn Point......

FC Halifax Town drew 0-0 away at Woking in a game that was full of chances, but none that were able to be taken. Both sides had the opportunity to go away with all three points but both goalkeepers put in superb performances to earn their side a draw.

Woking threatened from the word go, immediately darting towards Matt Glennon after winning the ball from Halifax's kick-off. John Goddard nutmegged Ryan Toulson on his solo path before unleashing a shot from just outside of the box, but dragged it wide.

The home side continued their attacking threat throughout the first half, and came close to breaking the deadlock through Scott Rendell. Kevin Betsy did well to fend off Scott McManus down the right wing, crossed the ball into the box, but the striker failed to make a clear connection and headed past the post.

One way traffic became a phrase to describe the opening stages, as Josh Payne added to the Cardinal chances to open the scoring. Similar to that of the previous attempt, Betsy put in yet another ball into the box, found Payne open towards the left who took a touch before taking his shot, but a brilliant save from Glennon kept the score goalless.

Amid the chances from Woking, Halifax had themselves an opportunity at goal, with Simon Ainge going close with a volley. A corner taken by Paul Marshall found the head of Marc Roberts, the defender headed the ball down to Ainge but his shot flew miles over the bar.

Joe McNerney then missed another glorious chance for Woking going into the 25th minute. John Nutter whipped the ball into the box, beat the Halifax defence and found McNerney, but the final header flew wide.

Garry Hill's men wasted chance after chance, but their best opportunity to score before half-time fell to Rendell, who shot wide of the goal after being one-on-one with Glennon. Fantastic skill by Betsy allowed for the midfielder to open up the Shaymen defence. His forward pass found Rendell, who took a strike with his first touch, but his effort across goal dragged wide.

Although on the back foot during the first half, Neil Aspin's side could have taken the shock lead going into the interval, through Dan Gardner. After finding some space on the edge of the box, the midfielder took a long range effort, but the shot was too high to even trouble Woking's goalkeeper Sam Beasant.

Town started the second half better than they did in the first half, and saw a glimmer of the goal within only a few minutes. Lois Maynard worked his way into the Woking box, found a bit of luck when challenged, with the ball then ricocheting into the path of Gardner. Unknown that he was offside, the midfielder took on Beasant before side-footing his shot wide.

Lee Gregory had his first real chance of the afternoon moments later, after taking a glorious ball down onto his chest, opened up his body before taking a shot from outside of the box but was easily caught by the Woking shot-stopper.

Glennon denied the home side once more, a brilliant distinctive save stopped McNerney before putting off the oncoming Gavin Williams, who could only strike his shot onto the side-netting. The initial free-kick made way for the first shot, but great work from Town's number one who immediately bounced up onto his feet after making the save and managing to keep the score level.

Going into the last ten minutes of the game, Kevin Holsgrove found himself a burst of energy after being given the ball on the right wing. Going past two Woking defenders, the striker cut inside and whipped a fierce ball into the box. That ball almost found the feet of Adam Smith, but it took a deflection which resulted in a corner. That corner unfortunately came to nothing.

The Cardinals were given yet another opportunity to open the scoring and grab the winner, when Marc Roberts brought down Giuseppe Sole on the edge of the area. The home fans screamed that it was a penalty but the referee insisted that a free-kick was to be given. Payne took the free-kick from the left hand side and hit the cross-bar before bouncing out of play.

FC Halifax Town then went up the other end and almost scored in the exact same fashion. Maynard was fouled by McNerney around 30 yards away from goal and the free-kick was immediately awarded. Wilson took the shot but hit the arm of one of the players in the wall in the process. The referee then blew his whistle for another free-kick and Wilson's second effort hit the outside of the post and floated out for a goal-kick.

A quiet game for the return for Gregory, but he was handed a gifted opportunity to round Beasant after a bouncing ball was misjudged by the goalkeeper. The striker's touch was too near the shot-stopper who immediately managed to fall to his feet and grab the ball.

The result was not one that could have been predicted by anyone, but Town can be pleased with their performance. Woking had the opportunity to score many more times than Halifax but the defence and Glennon stayed resilient.

The result leaves Halifax in 11th position in the table.








Halifax Town: Glennon; Toulson, Roberts, Ainge, McManus; Pearson, Maynard; Smith (McReady 81), Gardner (Wilson 81), Marshall (Holsgrove 64); Gregory.

Unused Subs: Lowe, Senior.

Goals: None.

Yellow Cards: McManus (56).

Woking: Beasant, Newton, Nutter, Ricketts, McNerney, Parkinson, Williams (Sole 76), Betsy, Payne, Rendell, Goddard (McNamee 76).

Unused Subs: Howe, Cestor, Frith.

Goals: None.

Yellow Cards: (Payne 69).

Attendance: 1552.

Man of the Match: Joe McNerney (Woking), Simon Ainge (FC Halifax Town).

    Latest Match Reports