Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 at 06:13 AM

Town Lose 2-0

FC Halifax Town suffered further away woe as they went down 2-0 to Kidderminster Harriers. Michael Gash’s 21st minute goal put Steve Burr’s side in the lead before a stunning long-range effort from the impressive Joe Lolley put the game beyond Neil Aspin’s men. A return to Aggborough brought back fond memories for Town fans, with the stadium being the destination where the Shaymen secured the Conference National title in 1998. However the 126 Town fans in attendance didn’t experience the same joy this time out, who despite tucking in to the self-proclaimed best food in football, saw their side struggle against a Kidderminster side oozing with a wealth of attacking talent. Neil Aspin opted to make just one change to the side that drew 0-0 with Hereford, with Adam Smith returning from suspension to replace Paul Marshall, whilst both Scott McManus and Ryan Toulson made their 100th appearance for the Club The hosts dominated the opening proceedings, with the flamboyant midfield trio of Anthony Malbon, Callum Gittings and Lolley causing Town countless problems. The Harriers had an early penalty appeal turned away by referee Ben Toner when Simon Ainge blocked Danny Jackman’s second minute shot, before Lolley started causing havoc down the left, drifting inside on a number of occasions only to see his shots blocked. Lee Gregory and Dan Gardner both saw long range efforts come to nothing as the Shaymen were largely anonymous in front of goal in the first-half. Lolley once again created space at ease to earn his side a corner, which somehow wasn’t converted when Jamie Grimes found the goal at his mercy three yards out but inexplicably put it wide of the post. Town were struggling to find any rhythm in their rare periods with the ball as they continued to struggle with the penetrative Kidderminster attack. Jackman was the next to spurn an opening for Steve Burr’s side in the 20th minute after Lolley chested down Gittings’ precise cross, only for the midfielder to snap his shot wide of Matt Glennon’s goal. But before the Shaymen were allowed to breathe a sigh of relief, they fell behind. Danny Lowe’s attempted clearance was blocked before Michael Gash was given too much space to turn on the edge of the box and drive a fierce shot off the post and into the bottom corner to give the Harriers a deserved 21st minute lead. The goal seemed to spark the Shaymen into life, who conjured up a decent response before half-time. Matty Pearson, a constant menace in the heart of Town’s midfield throughout, snuffed out a stray Kidderminster pass before firing a rocket effort too hot for Nathan Vaughan’s hands, only for Gardner to balloon the rebound over the bar. Malbon then came within inches of scoring a magical goal, curling a 30 yard strike past the stranded Matt Glennon, and thankfully, the post. As half-time loomed the Shaymen continued to see more of the ball, but still struggled to calibrate their passing radars. A headed Ainge knock down was scrambled away, before Pearson had Town’s best chance in the last action of the half. A neat piece of interplay between McManus and Gardner freed Pearson, whose 20 yard strike was finger-tipped away brilliantly by Nathan Vaughan at full stretch. The second-half started with the Harriers on top once more, however the defensive duo of Marc Roberts and Ainge nullified any potential danger. Yet they could do nothing about Lolley’s sweet strike which would have graced any pitch across the world. The winger was once again allowed to cut inside and duly punished the visitors, unleashing a dipping strike which glided into the postage stamp of Glennon’s goal. The Shaymen tried in vain to salvage a result, and whilst Adam Smith and Gregory both had efforts at goal, the game petered out with the Harriers firmly in control as they condemned the Shaymen to their fourth defeat on the road. Kidderminster: N Vaughan, L Vaughan, Gowling ©, Grimes, Demetriou, Fowler, Jackman, Malbon, Gittings (Byrne, 60) Lolley (Johnson, 86) Gash (Morgan-Smith, 74) Subs not used: Lewis, Dance FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Toulson, Roberts, Ainge, Lowe© (McReady, 83) Pearson, Maynard (Marshall, 60) McManus, Gardner (Wilson, 88) Smith, Gregory. Subs not used: Senior, Carver. Attendance: 1703 (126 Town fans) M.O.M: Matty Pearson

    Latest Match Reports