Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 at 06:17 AM

1-1 At The International Stadium......

An inspired Matt Glennon in the second half saw Town cling to a hard fought point away at Gateshead after a strong first half from the Shaymen.
The Boxing Day fixture saw Town travel up the A1 to North Easterners, Gateshead FC, for a mid table clash in the Skrill Premier League.
Gateshead has been difficult place to travel to this season having not lost at home in the league since the middle of September.
Town made one change from the Forest Green victory on Saturday, with Paul Marshall dropped for youngster Archie Love to make seventh appearances of the season for the Shaymen.
Neil Aspin set out for a third win in a row during a busy Christmas period for Town, with four games coming thick and fast.
The game kicked off with a slow pace as both teams figured out a way to break one another down.
The first chance for Halifax came through Josh Wilson, who shot went over the bar on 12 minutes.
Town were then on the back foot with the North Easterners pilling on the pressure, and a shot from Jamie Chandler rattled the post to wake the Shaymen up. 
It then took Town until the 26th minute to break the deadlock, Matty Pearson picked up the ball with space to hit a shot, the ball found a deflection off captain Ben Clark and hit the back of the net, Pearson’s first goal of the season.
Half time was on the horizon with the Shaymen forcing their opponents into mistakes, giving Town plenty of time to pick their passes. 
Neil Aspin took his team off at half time with his side 45 minutes from achieving three wins in a row for the time this season.
The second half whistle blew with Gateshead looking to blow off the first half cobwebs with a fiery start.
Straightaway Gateshead attacked and gave Halifax something to think about, John Oster hit a stinging 20 yard drive into the hands of Matt Glennon, who spilt the ball into a advancing Jamie Chandler but regained the ball quickly.
Glennon was then called into action once again and forced a shot from Josh Walker over the bar, Town now coming under intense pressure.
But then on 57 minutes the pressure told from Gateshead, a beautiful piece of team work from John Oster and Lewis Sirrell, who squared a ball across the face of goal and Jamie Chandler powered home to equalise.
Shaymen manager Neil Aspin then brought on Town hero, Lee Gregory to shake up Halifax and spur them on. Gregory who is the Shaymen’s topscorer returned to the squad after breaking his hand.
Then on 70 minutes, Gateshead won a freekick 30 yard away from goal, man of the match James Marwood stepped up and hit a venomous drive on to the post.
Halifax then a had a chance to steal a winner, a long free kick was punted into the box from Lois Maynard, it fell into the path of Marc Roberts who hit a shot into the hands of Adam Bartlett, Town’s first shot in the second half.
Gateshead had their chances to win all three points but couldn’t finish at the crucial moments.
The full time whistle blew with the Shaymen now unbeaten in three league games and puts Town closer to the playoffs.
Aspin’s side must now roll onto Saturday’s game with Lincoln City at The Shay and a win will put Halifax within touching distance of the top five.  

    Latest Match Reports