Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 15 Mar 13 at 10:05 AM

Town Win 2-0......

FC Halifax Town moved back into fourth spot in the Blue Square North with a 2-0 victory against Corby Town on Thursday night.
It was Town’s first win in five games as headers from Scott McManus and James Bolton on his home debut was enough to seal the points for the Shaymen and move them back above Altrincham.
It was an improved performance by Corby who arrived in West Yorkshire on the back of a 6-3 defeat to bottom side Hinckley United on Monday.
Neil Aspin made four changes to the starting line-up that drew 1-1 on Tuesday night with Bishop’s Stortford.
Ryan Toulson, Chris Worsley, Jason St Juste and Alex Titchiner replaced Matt Pearson, Jon Worthington, Dan Gardner and Gareth Seddon.
Seddon was the only one out of the four to make the substitutes bench and there was also no place for Adriano Moke in the squad who pulled a thigh muscle in midweek.
Town started brightly with both Worsley and St Juste skipping past their markers to deliver deep crosses into the penalty box as they went in search of that crucial opening goal which had eluded them over the past couple of weeks. 
The first clear cut chance fell to Worsley on 22 minutes.
St Juste ran from his own half to the edge of the Corby box and slid Titchiner in on goal. The striker cut inside and his blocked shot fell into the path of Worsley at the far post but his side-footed effort hit Paul Malone on the line.
From the resulting corner, James Knowles fired over after chesting the ball down 12 yards from goal.
St Juste and Titchiner again linked-up after a surging run by the left-winger resulted in Paul Walker saving low to his right to keep out the hard working Titchiner.
On 38 minutes, Halifax took the lead from a set-piece.
Scott McManus got half-a-yard at the near post to head home a St Juste corner for his third goal of the season. It was Town’s seventh corner of the game and they finally made it count.
Liam Needham almost doubled the lead before half-time with a powerful drive at the legs of Walker from a tight angle after persistence by Titchiner to put the visitors defence under pressure.
Town carried on pressing the Steelmen in the second half with Sean Williams dictating the pace of every Town attack.
Corby briefly threatened with a long distance daisy-cutter from Ryan Semple which had Glennon scrambling down to his left. 
Just before the hour mark, Titchiner swivelled on a long throw by Toulson which tested the reflexes of Walker.
On 67 minute, Aspin made a double substitution replacing the strike pairing of Lee Gregory and Titchiner for Seddon and Danny Glover.
It was Glover who almost gave the Shaymen some breathing space just minutes later.
Seddon held the ball up on the edge of the area and neatly set-up Glover who attempted a curling lob which was inches away from nestling into the top corner.
Naturally, Halifax began to drop deeper and Corby grew in confidence as Malone went close to connecting with a corner.
With 15 minutes remaining, St Juste was replaced by James Bolton for his debut since signing on loan from Macclesfield.
And inside 10 minutes of his first appearance for the Shaymen, Bolton doubled the advantage for Town.
William delivered an in-swinging corner from the left and after the ball was allowed to bounce in the six-yard box, Bolton had the simple task of heading into the back of the net.

    Latest Match Reports