Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:57 PM

Report From Town Vs Droylsden

Alex Titchiner scored a sublime second-half hat-trick as FC Halifax Town continued their push for promotion in superb fashion against a below-par Droylsden.

The sides couldn’t be separated in a poor first-half but after the break it was all action as Titchiner finished well to put the home-side in front.

He repeated the feat not long after when he latched onto a superb through-ball and showed good strength before finishing.

The visitors soon got themselves within a sniff when James Ellison headed home but the parity was short lived as Dale Johnson scored a superb solo goal against his old side.

And with moments to spare, Titchiner was through once again to complete his goal haul and send the 1332 Shaymen fans home happy.

After last week’s stuttered performance against Cammell Laird, Aspin tinkered with his side by bringing in Alex Johnson for Chris Worsley.

And it was the Shaymen who had the early chances as youngster Johnson headed wide from a Titchiner cross.

He then turned provider by playing the ball inside to Jarrett, who dummied his man allowing the ball to run to Paul Marshall, letting him unleash a pile-driver into the grateful hands of Dale Latham.

Droylsden had their first sight of goal when Jon Worthington needlessly fouled James Ellison and the striker rose to his feet to hit the set-piece harmlessly over the bar.

The referee was quickly forced into action, when, once again, Johnson was involved. He collected by the ball before turning into a savage tackle from Jimmy Derbyshire that had Shaymen fans calling for red, but the referee deemed it yellow-worthy.

Droylsden soon turned resolute and although the Shaymen were seeing more possession they were limited to long shots. Gareth Seddon first tested the water, before Liam Hogan blazed one high and wide.

Town were enjoying the freedom from range and at the second time of asking, Seddon nearly made them pay as he whistled an effort inches past the post.

Seddon then thought he had given Town the lead. With Droylsden content on sitting deep, Titchiner disguised a pass through to Johnson and his shot was palmed into the path of Seddon who applied the finish, only to see the linesman’s flag raised as he peeled off to celebrate.

With freedom and space aplenty in the opponents half, Town piled men forward. However, this left them susceptible to the counter-attack and just before the interval this was nearly the case.

Droylsden broke quickly down the right flank and Carlos Logan found Steve Hall on the edge, but his strike at goal was miscued and sailed wayward of the goal.

Despite his impressive first-half display, it was a Johnson for Johnson substitution at half-time with Dale, his namesake, entering the fray.

The second-half started in a much more tentative manner, with the only early chance coming from Seddon who headed wide from Phil Bolland’s swirling delivery. 

And thus despondency started to circulate amongst the crowd despite the Shaymen controlling the play with the opening goal imminent.

A long ball forward wasn’t dealt with and the resulting corner dropped to Worthington who cracked an expert volley at goal, but straight at the keeper.

And finally, the attacking impetus paid off as the Shaymen took the lead through an excellent team move. 

The ball was worked up the right flank, and Seddon touched it inside to an advancing Hogan. He played it inside to Titchiner who rolled his defender before finishing with aplomb into the bottom right.

Town were then gifted the opportunity to make it two as Johnson was fouled on the edge of the box. Marshall’s free-kick was poor, but it squirmed to Titchiner who couldn’t apply the finish.

Nevertheless, he didn’t have to wait long for his and Town’s second. Danny Lowe played a sublime long through ball, and Titchiner’s pace set him clear before he slotted past the keeper.

Suddenly, against the run of play, Droylsden were back in it with a well worked goal. A free-kick was played short to Logan and his neat chip into the box was headed home by Ellison.

But the response was short lived as Johnson put the sword to his former side with a majestic solo effort. He picked the ball up at ran at the defence before showing superb feet to cut inside Alex Coleman before poking home.

The quick goals stretched the game and Town nearly made it four on the counter. Marshall dispossessed his man before finding Seddon who hit his half-volley narrowly wide.

And at the other end, an expert save from Matt Glennon kept the scores the same. Ellison controlled well in the box before turning his man, but his finish was tipped wide of the right-stanchion.

In second-half injury-time, Titchiner ran clear once more as he latched onto a Johnson flick-on to complete his hat-trick and wrap up all three points.

    Latest Match Reports