Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Oct 12 at 17:15 PM

FC Halifax Town 1-2 Boston United

FC Halifax Town failed to recover from a poor start as they slumped to a first defeat in seven games despite dominating against a Boston United side that ran out 2-1 victors.

Mark Jones opened the scoring for the visitors as he was quickest to react to a Matt Glennon save to roll the ball into an empty net with a simple finish.

Halifax pushed for an equaliser, but left themselves exposed at the back, allowing Marc Newsham to canter onto a long pass and finish emphatically over an exposed Glennon.

Gareth Seddon brought the Shaymen to within one goal when he turned neatly in the box to squeeze his finish into the bottom right corner.

Town bombarded the visitors penalty area in the dying stages, and twice could have found the equaliser through Dale Johnson and Seddon, but Boston escaped with all three points.

Neil Aspin has rarely tinkered with his starting eleven this season, but was forced into a change as influential midfielder Jason Jarrett was serving the first of his three match suspension, meaning Simon Hackney was gifted his first start in an FC Halifax Town shirt.

The Pilgrims started the brighter of the two sides and Ben Milnes saw the first sight of goal fall at his feet, but he flashed his right footed effort harmlessly wide of Glennon's left hand post.

Boston clearly had the ascendancy in the opening encounters as Town looked bewildered by their lively start and thus, they were rewarded with an early goal. 

Fairclough timed his run through the stretched Shaymen defence perfectly to leave him one-on-one, but his finish was palmed away by Glennon into the path of Jones who applied the simple finish into the empty net from twelve-yards.

It was arguably the wake-up call that Town required, and from then on the Shaymen looked positive in possession. Jon Worthington, who has found himself amongst the goals on a number of occasions this season, nearly drew the hosts' level.

Chris Worsley started the move before finding Ryan Toulson in space on the right, the full-back whipped an inviting cross into Gregory whose miss-control fell kindly to Worthington, but the winger could only clip it inches past Dan Haystead's post.

The Shaymen continued to press, and looked patient in their build-up play as they looked for the decisive opening in the Boston rear-guard. Jason St Juste hounded forward on the left flank and clipped a teasing ball into the Pilgrims' box which they failed to deal with. The loose ball squirmed its way to Dale Johnson, who set Worsley, before seeing his low drive skim agonizingly wide.

As the first-half progressed, Town grew in confidence and St Juste was once again involved down the left. An advanced Town free-kick found its way to the full-back, and his clever footwork allowed him to find Paul Marshall 18-yards from goal, but the midfielder stabbed his first-time effort over the bar.

It was evident the Shaymen had the momentum and Aspin looked to capitalise on this by bringing on Gareth Seddon for Hackney at the interval, reverting Town to a more attacking 4-3-3.

And it was the substitute who nearly brought Town level with some spectacular acrobatics. St Juste whipped in a dangerous low cross that Gregory flicked on and up, allowing Seddon to become air-bound to shoot, but unfortunately his skilful effort was straight at Haystead.

Despite still leading, Boston found themselves on a rare counter-attack. Jones, their best attacking threat throughout the game, was found neatly by Newsham. The striker showed quick footwork to dance inside Toulson, before lashing a strike at goal at Glennon tipped over the bar.

This seemed to breathe life into the visitors, and the attacking pendulum starting to swing their way. Spencer Weir-Daley delivered a deep cross into the box, and the clearing header only found Jones on the edge who arrowed a strike goal-bound which had Glennon at full stretch to tip it around the post.

From the resulting corner, Glennon pulled off a miraculous save. The low cross squeezed its way to Tom Ward, who fired a sweet half-volley towards the top-corner, only to see a leaping Glennon tip into onto the bar and over.

As both sides pressed for the next goal, the game become extremely stretched. However, it was the visitors who found the break-through. Ian Ross caught the defence flat footed as he clipped a direct ball to Newsham, who finished neatly by lifting the ball over the on-rushing Glennon.

Despite the two-goal deficit, Town still pushed forwards in the hunt for goals and Marshall saw a long-range effort palmed away expertly by Haystead. Toulson swung the resulting corner in low, and the ball fell to Seddon who swivelled excellently to sweep the hosts to within one goal. 

Seddon should have then brought Town level after being fed through by Johnson, but the substitute fired straight at a grateful Haystead.

The Boston goal was living a charmed life, and somehow escaped one more in the closing stages as a deep cross into the box was headed across by Hogan, before Johnson bravely headed at goal to see it deflect off the bar and out.

Town continued to press, but time ran-out and the referee blew to see the Shaymen lose their first home-game since the opening fixture of the season.

    Latest Match Reports