Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:56 PM

FCHT Won 2-0......

The last time FC Halifax Town travelled to Hinckley United they surrendered a two goal lead to lose in a match Neil Aspin has described as one of the lowest points of the previous campaign.

The script for Saturday’s encounter away to United in the Blue Square North read very much the same way, though this time, an alternate ending was viewed.

Dale Johnson and Lee Gregory ensured Town’s trip to Leicestershire was a fruitful one, as the Shaymen collected all three points in a dominant display at the Greene King Stadium.

The Knitters have not yet managed to weave their way into any sort of form in the Blue Square North, with just one surprise victory against Boston to their name.

It would appear that the match played in Lincolnshire was an anomaly, as United have not managed to score in any of their other four fixtures, shipping 12 goals in the process.

However the first minutes did not pass without incident for Town, who could have gone behind twice in the opening stages.

From the kick off, Ryan Toulson was sold short allowing Aaron Cole to charge down the left wing and deliver, only for a free Danny Newton to stab wide.

Matt Glennon, under considerable pressure from the Hinckley forwards, then spilt a high, swirling ball underneath his crossbar but after a small melee in the six yard box, a red-shirted effort was charged down.

From thereon in, Town found their feet and a first attempt on goal came courtesy of a move that defined the term ‘route one’ perfectly.

Glennon atoned for his earlier spill with a dominant pluck from the air before an instant clearance out of his hands found Gareth Seddon, whose volley on the run forced Hinckley goalkeeper Robert Peet to dive to his near post.

It was Seddon again who was involved in Town’s opener. After the ball ballooned off the striker whilst trying to control, he saw the run of Johnson and instead of trapping, scissor-kicked over the defence for Johnson to run onto and place under Peet from an acute angle.

He so very nearly had a second following a lovely Town move. Short, sharp, intricate passes moved the Shaymen’s attacking unit back and forth across the field before Jon Worthington – rewarded with another start after his midweek performance – put through Seddon.

A neat cut-back from the striker put in Johnson whose finish could not match the aesthetics of the build up.

The Knitters’ drop stitch-style defence left far too many holes for Town to exploit, as Seddon again found himself inside Hinckley’s box but failed to register clean contact with the ball.

Seddon should have had his name on the score sheet less than a minute into the second half.

Lee Gregory – on at half time for Jon Worthington – was put through one-on-one with the goalkeeper, though instead of squaring for Seddon, free to his left, he tried to beat Peet who smothered the effort.

Town’s fans, who made up a considerable chunk of the 522 in attendance, became particularly vociferous when Lee Gregory charged down Peet following a questionable back-pass. 

He half-blocked the goalkeeper’s clearance but Seddon, feeding off the scraps of the challenge, couldn’t direct his long-range effort on target.

Liam Hogan was the next to go close for Town, as the centre back found himself on the end of a low Paul Marshall free-kick.
The defender’s contact was not the cleanest, as the ball chipped up and rebounded off the woodwork.

Gregory then atoned for his earlier miss when again put through one-on-one with Peet. This time, however, with no support, the striker rounded the goalkeeper for a simple finish into an empty net.

By this stage Town were so rampant that Hinckley’s back line resembled a moth-bitten blanket defence, as the Gregory burst through but Peet denied the forward before Seddon then found himself through, but was unable to direct an eccentric lob on target.

Theo Brown reminded everyone that the home side were in fact still around with a cross/shot that had Glennon scrambling across his goal and thankful that the effort landed on top of the net.

It was not to stop the reams of Town attacks though, Seddon’s neat flick teeing up substitute Liam Needham who struck with force straight at Peet.

Town may feel that they could have recorded a score well into double figures but compared to last season’s trip to Leicestershire, three points will gladly be taken.

    Latest Match Reports