Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:55 PM

FCHT suffered a 1-0 defeat.....


FC Halifax Town suffered a 1-0 defeat to Colwyn Bay in their first home game of the season.


A second half goal from former Town player Kevin Holsgrove with was enough to take all three points for the visitors.


Neil Aspin made one change from Saturday’s win at Bishop’s Stortford with Chris Worsley replacing the injured Ryan Toulson and there was also an unexpected space on the bench for Scott McManus, the defender had expected to be out for some time with a groin injury.


Town lined-up with a 4-3-3 formation as they did at the weekend but Worsley was slotting in at right-back for the absent Toulson.


The visitors were unchanged from their 3-1 home success over Solihull Motors. Former Halifax players Danny Meadowcroft and Holsgrove started for the Seagulls.


The away opposition started brightly with Gareth Evans trying his luck from distance, with Matt Glennon just watching the daisy cutter past the post.


Defender Frank Sinclair then saw a header land on the roof of the net after Jason Jarrett sold Paul Marshall short in midfield to concede a corner.

Town then created two chances in two minutes.


First, Gareth Seddon guided a header towards goal from the edge of the box following a cross from Marshall. Next, Jarrett won the ball cleanly in midfield with a well-timed slide tackle, Johnson then cut the away defence open with a slide rule pass to Seddon. Seddon rounded Chris Sanna but could not find the net from a tight angle after 16 minutes.


Glennon was then called into action at the other end, saving from another dangerous header from Sinclair at the far post.


With half an hour played, Town started to push Colwyn back, with Gregory, Seddon and Johnson alternating positions.


Gregory found space in between the away defence and midfield; the lively striker swivelled and hit the ball but dragged the ball wide.


With a couple of minutes left before half-time, the Shaymen nearly opened the scoring. Dale Johnson saw his header at the far post clawed away by Sanna, following a Marshall cross from the left-wing.


As one minute added time was announced, Seddon raced clear down the left channel and opened his body up to curl a right-footed shot agonisingly just over the bar.


Jason Jarrett was replaced by Jason St Juste at the break, with St Juste taking a left-wing position.


And it was St Juste who came close to giving Town the lead on 55 minutes.


The pacey winger picked the ball up on the left, and drove towards goal, unleashing a 25 yard pile-driver that had the home crowd off their feet, unfortunately his powerful effort whistled just wide.


Just one minute later, a chance fell to Worthington at the edge of the box. Marshall swung over a deep cross from the right hand-side which Johnson headed back across goal. The ball fell to Worthington via a deflection but his shot was struck into the ground and went wide.


Jamie Rainford replaced Lee Gregory on 65 minutes as Aspin went in search of that all-important first goal.


Colwyn were frustrating the home side and the home supporters with men behind the ball, but they almost snatched the lead with 20 minutes remaining.


A diagonal cross from Danny Lloyd was met by the head of Rob Hopley, but the striker could not direct his header on target.


That was a warning sign, as two minutes later, Colwyn took the lead.


Former Town player, Holsgrove, found the back of the net with an accurate left-footed strike from 22 yards, which nestled into the bottom corner.


Substitute Rainford responded positively for Town, laying the ball across the six yard box but nobody had gambled at the near post.


Colwyn nearly doubled the lead on the break as Town went all out attack as the clock ticked down. Holsgrove played in Hopley but was denied by the legs of Matt Glennon.


The home crowd received a boost when six minutes added time was announced by the fourth official.


The Shaymen continued to press forward in the final few minutes but the Colwyn defence stood strong under the floodlights at The Shay.

    Latest Match Reports