Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:59 PM

Town Seal Playoff Place......

In what proved to be a tight affair, the Shaymen only needed one point against Guiseley, who had claimed second place already.
Neil Aspin sent his men out in an unusual 5-3-2 formation, with James Bolton and Adam Jackson joining the usual Matt Pearson, Scott McManus and Danny Lowe.
In the opening minutes Dan Gardner and Lee Gregory combined to carve open the Guiseley defence, but Steve Drench kept out Town’s attacking duo.
However, after this, both teams struggled to keep possession, so not many chances fell to either for team for quite a while.
From a Chris Worsley throw in, Guiseley failed to clear the ball completely and it fell to Sean Williams on the edge of the box, but his shot just cleared the bar.
McManus had the next chance as he stole possession on the left wing but drilled his shot wide of the far post.
Glennon was finally called into action when Gavin Rothery found Josh Wilson inside the area, but his shot went just wide, with Glennon covering the near post.
Adam Jackson then tested Drench when Williams found the centre back from a corner, but his header was straight at the goalkeeper.
Guiseley then took the lead from the penalty spot after Jamie Knowles caught Sebastien Carole in the area and former Town man James Walshaw converted, five minutes before the half time break.
Gregory tried to hit back immediately, however his long drive was easy for Drench to keep out, leaving the visitors leading at half time.
Lee Gregory equalized just three minutes after the break after Scott McManus and Dan Gardner combined down the left wing and McManus’ cross found the striker to stab home.
Moments later and Town were denied a penalty when Gardner set through Gregory who was blocked out by two defenders.
Gardner then showed his skill and pace to beat two defenders on the left wing and his cross found half time substitute Adriano Moke, whose shot was poor and over the bar.
Town kept pushing Guiseley back, mainly due to the skill of Gardner, but the ball found Williams again but he shot from too far out and once again it went over.
Town’s chances continued, this time McManus headed just over from a Gardner free kick, after Alex Johnson, another half time substitute, was fouled by Matt Wilson.
Moments later and McManus went down from a heavy challenge from Aaron Hardy, who received the first yellow card of the day.
The atmosphere around the Shay had built as Town created chance after chance to try and ensure their play-off place.
Town denied another penalty coming into the final quarter of the game, as Moke released Johnson into the Guiseley area, the ref said he wasn’t pulled down.
As Town looked to break against the defence of Guiseley, the linesman lifted his flag against Johnson after Gregory’s pass, but he was clearly onside.
Town’s frustration was growing, especially in the stands, but as Lowe conceded a free kick, Pearson lashed the ball away in anger, and received a yellow card.
Possibly the biggest chance to take the lead fell to Johnson, after Gregory stole the ball from his defender, he rolled the ball across goal, Johnson turned his defender but fired over from close range.
Town were denied yet another penalty in injury time, as Hardy looked to have hit the ball with his hand, but the ref gave a free kick saying Johnson had fouled him.
The final whistle blew and a huge cheer from the fans as they knew the play-off place had been confirmed, after a hard fought draw.

    Latest Match Reports