Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:58 PM

Town Win 3-1.....

FC Halifax Town returned to winning ways with a rampant 3-1 victory against Vauxhall Motors on a freezing night at Rivacre Park.

The Shaymen opened the scoring with their first sight of goal when Scott McManus arrived to bundle home Ryan Toulson’s cross.

Dan Gardner doubled the visitors lead midway through the second-half when he beat one before drilling his effort in off the post from range.

And he then turned provider as he laid the ball to an unmarked Lee Gregory, who swept home from five-yards.

In the closing minutes, A Tom Rutter capitalised on some slack defending by drilling a low strike into the bottom corner.

Town’s preparations for the clash with the Motormen didn’t start in ideal fashion when they lost central-midfielder Paul Marshall to Stockport County.

That saw Neil Aspin forced into changing his consistent line-up from the last two games, with Sean Williams and Chris Worsley returning for Marshall and Jon Worthington.

But true to form, it was the Shaymen who took the early initiative with their first attack of the game. Williams spraying the ball expertly to Toulson whose cross eluded everyone except the arriving Scott McManus who applied the finish.

The early onslaught continued and after winning a corner, Williams was then gifted space to unleash an audacious 25-yard effort that flew narrowly over the bar.

And after a bit of luck, Alex Titchener was able to bundle his way through before forcing the keeper to spill the ball dangerously across his own goal.

But with all the early possession, a touch of complacency was able to creep in and Craig Mahon caught the defence flat-footed with a mazy run and effort that flicked wide for a corner.

The referee was then forced into a contentious decision when Mahon went on another solo-effort. He seemed to be tripped right on the edge of the box, no foul and more importantly, no penalty given.

After the disastrous start, Vauxhall seemed to settle and should have been level when   Ashley Stott was played in on goal, but the striker blazed his effort.

And it was the home-side who were to go closest once more. Karl Noon got the wrong side of Danny Lowe as he chased a long ball, but with Glennon advancing, the striker lifted his effort wide.

After the early flurry, the game settled somewhat and it wasn’t until some fifteen minutes later that Halifax were to have their next chance.

McManus showed good work down the left to beat his man, before crossing deep to Seddon who fired a half-volley straight at Zac Jones.

McManus was looking continually dangerous down the left-flank, and once again he delivered in a dangerous ball that was cleared only as far as Williams.

With moments to spare in the half, the midfielder lined up a drive with the goal at his mercy, but an expert bit of defending by Karl Clair saw the ball flick up and over the bar.

Just like the first-half, Halifax started the brighter as Gareth Seddon plucked the ball out of the air magnificently before slipping through Gardner, but the pass was just inches from finding its target.

Twice the referee was called into debatable penalty decisions and twice he said no as both Titchener and Worsley were bundled over in the box.
Town were looking to make their possession pay and Needham was presented with an excellent opportunity to do so.

The ball was played wide to Gardner and he delivered an outstanding cross into the path of the advancing midfielder, but his first-time effort was planted wide.

It was arguably Town’s best spell in the game as they looked to double their advantage, but Vauxhall were looking perilous on the counter attack.

First Noon tried his luck from range and then Stott cut inside his man skillfully before flashing his effort wide.

However, Town continued to occupy the ball with Gardner integral to each attack. He advanced with the ball and played a one-two with Worsley before drilling his 20-yard effort into the bottom corner.

With the two-goal advantage, Aspin saw fit to ring the changes in the attacking triplet, bringing on Lee Gregory for Seddon and Adriano Moke, for his first appearance, in the place of Titchener.

And it wasn’t long until Gregory found himself on the scoresheet. Williams fed Gardner in behind the defence and he squared it to the target man, who applied the finish from five-yards.

Just like McManus in the first-half, Toulson was given license to push forward and deliver crosses into the box.

He skipped to the byline before swinging an expert ball to the head of Gregory, but with the crowd already cheering, the ball cannoned back off the bar and out.

The Motormen thought they had found a consolation goal late on when a goal-mouth scramble fell the way of Stott, but his effort was hooked off the line by Toulson.

But in the dying moments, they did themselves on the scoresheet when a long ball wasn’t dealt with by St Juste and Rutter swept into the bottom corner.


Vauxhall Motors

Zac Jones 2) Stephen Wainwright 3) Chris Noone 4) David Kocsis 5) Andy Nicholas (c) 6) Karl Clair 7) Craig Mahon 8) Louis Moss 9) Tom Rutter 10) Ashley Stott 11) Karl Noon

Subs: 12) Anthony Wright 14) Gary Martindale 17) Craig Ellison

FC Halifax Town

Matt Glennon 2) Ryan Toulson 3) Scott McManus (St Juste) 4) Liam Hogan 5) Liam Needham 6) Danny Lowe 7) Chris Worsley 8) Sean Williams 9) Alex Titchener (Moke) 10) Dan Gardner 11) Gareth Seddon (Gregory)

Subs: 12) Phil Senior 14) Lee Gregory 15) Alex Johnson 16) Jason St Juste 17) Adriano Moke


Halifax: McManus. Gardner

Vauxhall: Rutter

    Latest Match Reports