Skip to main content

Droylsden: Match Report

Posted: Sat 16 Feb 2013
Author: Liam Norcliffe

Image by:

Report From Droylsden Vs FC Halifax Town......

Gareth Seddon scored a hat-trick as FC Halifax Town hit Droylsden for six without reply.
Alex Titchiner, Dan Gardner and Jon Worthington also found the net in what was an impressive display by the Shaymen at the Butchers Arms Stadium.
Neil Aspin made two tactical changes to the starting line-up that drew 3-3 with Histon last Saturday as Seddon and Worthington were recalled into the team to replace Lee Gregory and Tom Platt.
Liam Needham deputised for the suspended Chris Worsley.
The Bloods had conceded an average of more than two goals at home this season and on eight minutes, the Shaymen had their first of the afternoon.
Danny Lowe sent Needham clear down the left-wing and in-return, delivered an accurate low cross towards Alex Titchiner to finish from six-yards out.
Halifax were in charge of the opening 20 minutes with Worthington making a couple of strong tackles and Dan Gardner continued to impress in midfield.
Droylsden almost equalised mid-way through the first half when Lee Rick chipped an in-swinging cross into the Town box. Joe O’Neill flicked a header towards Glennon, who managed to scoop behind for a corner.
An excellent move on the half-hour mark nearly gave Town a two-goal lead.
Scott McManus, produced a deep cross to the far post which was met by Titchiner and his deflected effort at goal was parried into the path of Seddon, who attempted a spectacular overhead-kick which flew over the bar.
Just one minute later, Paul Marshall should have doubled the lead for the away side.
A Carlos Logan free-kick was blocked on the edge of the area and Town launched a counter-attack.
Worthington turned the home defence with a raking pass which Adnan Ahmed could not deal with and was forced into an error by Titchiner. The lively striker then fed the ball into the path of the on-rushing Marshall, only for the midfielder to drag his left-footed attempt wide from 12 yards out.
However, the floodgates then opened for Town as they added two goals in three minutes before half-time to give the Shaymen a comfortable lead.
First, McManus again found space and crossed from the left-flank.
The ball fell to Needham and after a one-two with Seddon, the latter finished into the top corner via a deflection.
Gardner was the next man to add his name onto the scoresheet.
Gardner worked himself half-a-yard on the edge of the area and fired into the bottom corner to give the Shaymen a comfortable three goal advantage at half-time.
Matt Glennon claimed an early Droylsden corner and launched an attack which produced a fourth goal for Halifax and a second for Seddon, nine minutes into the second half.
Seddon kept his composure after rounding Dale Latham in the Droylsden goal to pass into the net.
The Shaymen were clearly in the mood for more goals and Worthington added a fifth on 58 minutes before he was replaced by Sean Williams.
Worthington stroked the ball into the bottom corner from six yards with his left-foot after McManus pulled the ball back from the by-line.
Halifax continued to press forward with the home team restricted to playing on the break.
Seddon went in search of his hat-trick but fired over when off balance from 20 yards on the angle.
Droylsden managed to stem the flow of play in the remaining minutes but they could not prevent Seddon from getting his third of the game and the match ball.
With the clock ticking down, Seddon side-footed into the net from 10 yards after being given the freedom of the penalty area to round off an emphatic victory on the road for Town.
FC Halifax Town: 1.Glennon 2.Toulson 3.McManus 4.Hogan 5.Needham 6.Lowe (C) 7.Worthington (Williams 59) 8.Marshall (Platt 76) 9.Titchiner (Gregory 66) 10.Gardner 11.Seddon
FC Halifax Town Unused subs: 12.Senior. 14. Gregory 16.St Juste
Droylsden: 1.Latham 2.Killeen 3.Logan 4.Palmer 5.Kerr 6.Ahmed 7.Rick 8.Hall 9.O’Neill (C) 10. Rouse 11.Fox
Droylsden Subs: 12 Ellison 14.Holden 15.Chalmers 16.Doherty 17.Langford