Skip to main content

Worcester City: Report

Posted: Sat 13 Aug 2016

Report Of FC Halifax Town Vs Worcester City

Tom Denton’s fifth goal in three games secured FC Halifax Town’s second win of the season in what was a far from dull encounter against Worcester City. 
Super sub Matt Kosylo, brought on for the ever impressive Josh MacDonald late on, was an instant impact as his pin point cross found Denton towering above the visiting defence to head home a 3-0 victory for the Shaymen. 
In a game that didn’t have the most exciting of starts, Town opened the scoring inside the first 20 minutes through captain, Kevin Roberts.
A clever flick on by Tom Denton on the edge of the area saw Roberts with time and space in the centre. He made no mistake with the shot, smashing it home underneath visiting keeper Ethan Ross’ shoulder. 
Once the celebrations had died down the confidence was beaming off the Shaymen team. MacDonald continued his impressive start combining with Cliff Moyo down the right, the resulting cross just inches away from connecting with Peniket in the box. 
Moyo looked sharp on the right as Town began to control the game. However, this was not to be for long. 
His mistimed challenge on Richard Batchelor saw him connect with the visiting midfielder’s right knee, a challenge that, at first, looked pretty nasty as Batchelor went to ground. 
Referee Steven Copeland was quick to display the straight red, much to the dismay of the home crowd. Worcester’s extra man allowed them to pick up the pace with crosses flying in from both sides. Bishop’s looked dangerous but no one was there to meet it. 
The frustrating decision saw tensions flare between both sets of players. Cieron Keane looked to intimidate MacDonald by the dugout, holding him whilst he tried to bring the ball down. Some pushing and shoving followed as teammates flooded in to back their men up. 
The Shaymen followers were calling out for a red, searching for justice after Moyo’s marching orders earlier in the game. A stern talking to was the most Keane received, although he did earn himself a yellow later on for another challenge on MacDonald. 
Like in the first, the second half took some time to get going but when it did, the home side were favoured once again. Josh Wilde putting his name on the scoresheet this time. 
As the ball broke free in the box it was Wilde’s tackle that deflected over Ross and into the net, it could have been a bit lucky but the home crowd certainly did not mind. 
The visitors were forced into some changes which seemed to endanger the Town defence. Chekaine Steele’s fast-paced run past Josh Wilde put him through on goal but Drench got down quick enough to save any Town blushes. 
Although this was to be the most enjoyable part of the afternoon for the visitors as minutes later, Keane once again riled the home fans with a bad foul on MacDonald. Justice was served this time though as he was sent for an early bath, much to the delight of the home crowd!
The teams were even once again, but surprisingly not for long. 40 year old striker Lee Hughes had only been on the pitch for half an hour when his elbow on Danny Hone forced the second straight red of the game. The home fans again were quick to voice their praise for the decision. 
The visitors, now down to nine men, never recovered allowing for wave after wave of Shaymen pressure. As the third goal hit the back of the net, it was hard to remember that the home side were down to 10. 
The referee blew his whistle signalling the end of a great performance from Town. That well-deserved victory now moves the Shaymen onto seven points for the season so far.    

FC Halifax Town: 1 Steven Drench, 2 Cliff Moyo, 3 Josh Wilde, 4 Kevin Robert (c), 5 Daniel Hone, 6 Scott Garner, 7 Josh MacDonald (Matt Kosylo 87) 8 Nathan Hotte, 9 Tom Denton, 10 Jordan Sinnott (Hibbs 46) 11 Richard Peniket (Connor Hughes 72)
Subs Not Used: 12 Tom Nicholson, 16 Jordan Burrow, 
Worcester City: 1 Ethan Ross, 2 Andy Gallinagh, 3 Cieron Keane, 4 Graham Hutchison (c), 5 Tom Sharpe, 6 Joe Fitzpatrick (Lee Hughes 61), 7 Jordan Murphy (Chekaine Steele 61), 8 Junior English, 9 Colby Bishop (Craig 79), 10 Ebby Nelson-Addy 11 Richard Batchelor
Subs 13 Nick Draper, 15 Danny Jackman

Goals: Roberts 16, Wilde 56, Denton 88
Yellow Cards: Keane 40, Fitzpatrick 50, Batchelor 79, Hutchison 90
Red Cards: Moyo 26, Keane 73, Hughes 84
Attendance: 1576 (23)

Match Officials
Referee: Steven Copeland
Assistant Referees: Daniel Hitchell, Daniel Bruce